What to do with the retired UK Sea Kings?

Started by McColm, December 23, 2015, 11:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

From March 2016 the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force will no longer fly the Westland Sea King helicopter.
Some have been sold to Belgium and Norway with the ASAC7s being retained by the MOD until March 2017.
The guide price is £150,000 each.

I was thinking that they would make a great caravan/mobile home. The tail would have to be removed. Keeping the fuselage either lowered on to a chassis or lorry/car parts added on to make it drivable on the public highway.
As a Whiffer the 1/72 Airfix Sea King and the Refueling set using the Bedford QLs for the conversion or the Recovery Set.
I'll use the Airfix Magazine January 1972 as a guide as there is a article on the Coles Mobile Crane with drawings and photos.

Spey_Phantom

indeed, ZH542 arrived here in Belgium in koksijde AB a few weeks ago.
but, just like the Norwegians, they will never fly again, as they are being stripped for parts to keep our 3 remaining SeaKings in the air until 2018.

would be nice to see them sold to other nations, maybe the new Iraqi Navy can use a couple.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PR19_Kit

They must be pushing the limit of their fatigue lives by now though, they've flown a LOT of hours.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

I suppose most will be used for spare parts or target drones.

ChernayaAkula

Ask the Canadians! Maybe they're interested? ;D

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

kitnut617

How about ---- retire them  ----   :-\  long past their best buy date --
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

Looks like someone has beaten me to it!
Got to be whiffed!

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Mrs z's car pool are interested in one.  Their commute can be up to 2 hours each way on a bad day and they do have a School playing field next to the office.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..