74 Tiger What If`s

Started by tc2324, December 24, 2015, 06:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc2324

With the next 74 Sqn reunion approaching it`s time for me to start preparing for a display. Now last year, along with some real world types flown by 74 Sqn, I took a couple of what if`s which generated a fair bit of interest.

Now these what if types were not just your random `let`s stick some tiger markings on any old type we can find`, but all the what if`s are listed within the sqn history as types that were considered, albeit very briefly in some cases as types that the sqn could have introduced into service had they ever been purchased by her majesty`s government.

The earliest example of this was when in the late 1930`s word got around that they would be given Gladiators. These then went to another sqn and 74 were issued with the Gauntlet. 74 did however get the last laugh as they then went straight to Spitfires while the Gladiator sqn had to keep their Gladiators a bit longer.

Later on in the 1950`s, 74 were mentioned to be the first sqn to introduce the Swift into service. Some other sqn got that honor however and after the terrible reports of the Swift in service, 74 were glad they were passed up again. A few months later they went onto the EE Lightning!

Next came the possible purchase of the F-111 and once again 74 were mentioned in Whitehall to be the unit to introduce it into service.

Later still and it`s now very shortly after the Falklands Conflict and a couple of high ranking bods are discussing what they can do to plug the gap in the UK`s air defense after 23 Sqn flew south to supply CAP  from Stanley airfield.

It was suggested that until the Tornado ADV went into service in a few years time, perhaps leasing/buying F-14 or F-15`s were an option. But then someone with a sensible head came up with the plan that what we needed was a type that already had some kind of infrastructure already in place. The obvious choice was the Phantom. The US Navy and Marines however did not have any spare upgraded F-4S Phantoms spare to lease or otherwise, so F-4J`s were looked at and the rest as they say is history.

To that end I`m going with these.

I think the Tornado and Typhoon are very logical what if`s and need no explanation.

I`ve started on the F-15 first as I`ve never actually built one of these before and wanted to see what it was like.

I have to say I was surprised at how much I am enjoying the kit. It goes together very well and I feel very comfortable with it. The moulding is excellent with lots of detail and the only thing I`ve spotted which looked a little `off` to me, (although it may just be me?), are the Sidewinder missile mouldings. I`ll post a picture next time so you can either confirm or deny if I`m going mad.

74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

NARSES2

This will form a neat collection  :thumbsup:

The F.15 looks to be a really nicely tooled kit ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Great collection of aeroplanes ! Looking forward to seeing more.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

I built the Tamya F-15 a long time ago and I recall it was easy to build. With a little card stock you could make the intakes in the takeoff position, tilted forward and downward.
You are well on your way to a nice display.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

tc2324

Coming together well, just needs a bit of TLC here and there.

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

With the reunion dinner only a couple of months away, it`s time I started doing what SWMBO says I can never do well...., multi task!

Started on the Tornado F.3 and so far it seems to be behaving itself. One area I wanted to do something about was the usual gap you get with swing wing kits.

As always, I opted for the cheapest and most basic way to get around it ......, Tamiya tape.

It`s not perfect and I`ll cut some more tape and tidy it up a bit, but once a bit of dark grey paint is added, it should suffice.

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

So a couple of people who are much more Tonka orientated then I suggested that I should place some rectangle shaped tape on the outside as the Tonka wing seal is visible from the outside.

Who am I to argue?

So it will end up looking more like this..... (these are just concept pieces and I`ll do better ones once the half`s are joined)

Tiger, Tiger!

Captain Canada

Either way works for me ! Great idea and a nice touch of realism for sure.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

The uses of Tamiya tape are endless! :thumbsup:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

XV107

Very nice idea.

As an aside, one of the plans in an Air 2 (or Air 20) file at Kew would certainly cause surprise at the next reunion - namely a tiger Victor...

(Proposed in the mid-70s as the Air Staff began to worry that they'd never be able to reform 74 as successive plans for Phantom FGR2 in the FBSA role with Strike Command, then Hunter FGA9 [45 and 58 Squadron numberplates used instead] fell by the wayside. Victor itself  was swiftly dropped on the grounds that 74 would take on 892NAS's Phantom FG1s when Ark Royal decommissioned, but the airframes went to 111 instead and the plan for an extra AD Phantom squadron was dropped)

tc2324

Quote from: XV107 on January 06, 2016, 05:39:52 PM
Very nice idea.

As an aside, one of the plans in an Air 2 (or Air 20) file at Kew would certainly cause surprise at the next reunion - namely a tiger Victor...

(Proposed in the mid-70s as the Air Staff began to worry that they'd never be able to reform 74 as successive plans for Phantom FGR2 in the FBSA role with Strike Command, then Hunter FGA9 [45 and 58 Squadron numberplates used instead] fell by the wayside. Victor itself  was swiftly dropped on the grounds that 74 would take on 892NAS's Phantom FG1s when Ark Royal decommissioned, but the airframes went to 111 instead and the plan for an extra AD Phantom squadron was dropped)

Many thanks for that info XV. 74 operating Victors?, I know a few ex-74 jocks who would go ghost white at that news. I think I`ll bring it up at the next reunion.....  ;D

It also opens up an Phantom FG.1 whif as well.  :thumbsup:

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

All three builds coming together......

With the reunion dinner only a month and a half away I`ve had to multi build, which if I`m honest, isn`t the most enjoyable way to build kits. However needs must and all that.

A few close ups of the Tonka and Tiffie.

Funnily enough I have found both these kits a little more challenging than the F-15 which seemed to want to fall together. These kits are over complicated in their design in my opinion and I would not suggest either of these kits to beginners.

Now to start ordering paint......

Tiger, Tiger!

Captain Canada

Looking good ! That would certainly be a capable unit with  those 3 airframes !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Martin H

Quote from: tc2324 on January 07, 2016, 12:19:44 AM
Quote from: XV107 on January 06, 2016, 05:39:52 PM
Very nice idea.

Many thanks for that info XV. 74 operating Victors?, I know a few ex-74 jocks who would go ghost white at that news. I think I`ll bring it up at the next reunion.....  ;D

It also opens up an Phantom FG.1 whif as well.  :thumbsup:

Most interesting indeed.
There was also a note in a 1971 issue of Air Pictorial that 74 was being considered as a Jaguar operator when it stood down its Lightning's. If I recall correctly, you have already built one in 74 markings?
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.