74 Tiger What If`s

Started by tc2324, December 24, 2015, 06:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc2324

Quote from: Martin H on January 10, 2016, 02:06:15 PM
If I recall correctly, you have already built one in 74 markings?

That`s correct Martin.

Although it`s on the list to be re-done as the grey in the camo scheme was far to light.
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

With family, work and some forum moderating and admin conspiring to keep me busy these last couple of weeks, I`ve actually got round to spray painting the kits.

First up is the F-15.

We all know that when the F-4J(uk)`s arrived from the US, they were in an unusual grey/green/blue`ish shade as the Americans guestimated what UK air defense grey was. So what`s to say that if we had opted for the F-15, the same mistake was made? Just my take on it but it felt right doing it this way mixing some `what if` in with some `real world` event.

Now as with the other two, I could of just used the the old hairy brush and covered both the Tiffie and Tonka in good old Barley Grey. Problem is I hate using a brush as it never seems to come out right. I don`t have an airbrush or anywhere to use one on pain of death from SWMBO.

So this leaves me with the rattle can option.

Now forgiving the lighting for the photo`s, I think I`ve done a pretty good job using two rattle can combinations to get a `barley grey` kind of look. Well.., in my eyes anyway. So both models were given an overall good covering of medium sea grey followed by a very, very, very, light dusting of light ghost grey. You know when your other half squirts a perfume in front of them and then walks through it? Well it was the same for these two.

And to cap off an interesting weekend, my mate calls and says, `I have these profiles books I found in the loft. Do you want them?` `Sure, bring them round` and then a couple of hours later I`m looking at this lot dating back to the late 60`s, early 70`s......

Some absolute gems amongst them.

Tiger, Tiger!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: tc2324 on February 01, 2016, 12:27:10 PM
And to cap off an interesting weekend, my mate calls and says, `I have these profiles books I found in the loft. Do you want them?` `Sure, bring them round` and then a couple of hours later I`m looking at this lot dating back to the late 60`s, early 70`s......

Some absolute gems amongst them.

You're not wrong, I have a pile of Profiles about a foot high. Back then they were THE information to have handy for modelling.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Beauty. Love all three but I'm really looking forward to seeing the F-15  :thumbsup:

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Yup still got my bunch of old Profiles, they were "the read" back in the day  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tc2324

So I`ve started adding a few decals while await a delivery of a few more.....,

....., and you may of noticed that I`ve neglected to add a particular `shade` to the tails which were pretty much a trademark of the tigers since their Lightning days.

With the F-15 I very much wanted this in a similar scheme to the F-4J(uk)`s when first delivered. When it comes to the Tonka, IIRC, only `special tails` were allowed with the majority of the F.3 fleet being pretty `grey`. Same goes for the Tiffie. Nowadays it seems a tiffie can go full WWII camo, but when they first became operational, again they were all grey with very little colour other than the sqn markings.

It might seem a little boring but I want these `what ifs` looking more like `could of been`.

Tiger, Tiger!

Captain Canada

Very sharp. Love this trio !

:bow: :cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

tc2324

So more decals on and a few changes made. Hopefully they look almost real world and acceptable.

Before I start adding more of the common stensils I might re-evaluate the diving on the Tonka intake. I`m not so sure about it? Opinions always welcome.

Tiger, Tiger!

NARSES2

Typhoon looks particularly nice  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TallEng

Quote from: tc2324 on February 15, 2016, 03:20:21 PM
So more decals on and a few changes made. Hopefully they look almost real world and acceptable.

Before I start adding more of the common stensils I might re-evaluate the diving on the Tonka intake. I`m not so sure about it? Opinions always welcome.quote]

Might I suggest moving the Tonka tiger stripes up to the Fin?
Either the very fin tip, (I think at one stage both 43 and 111 had Sqn markings on the fin cap)
Or my favorite would be a line of tiger stripes across the fin where the ECM fairing is and of the same width.
Just my thoughts. they all look good, and avoiding the temptation for an all black fin is to be commended  :thumbsup: even if it's a Tiger trade mark.

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

Hm, the tiger stripes on the Tonka's intake don't do it for me either.

I like TallEng's idea of the line of tiger stripes right across the fin though.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Tough call. Maybe go with putting them forward by the roundel, as with the others ? Truth be told, I wouldn't have thought any different if it hadn't been pointed out.....great job on all three, but it's that Eagle doing it for me

:bow:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

I like all 3, hard to pick a favorite! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

tc2324

Thanks for the feedback chaps and the tonka stripes have now been removed.  :thumbsup:

It now looks very plain, however I think it would be a very realistic scheme for this what if sqn.

Tiger, Tiger!