My library just grew again 2016

Started by Rheged, December 29, 2015, 02:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

FOR USE AFTER 31ST DECEMBER 2015 ONLY
Here it is ladies,  gentlemen, other denominations as appropriate;     a clean, new topic for your observations on newly acquired literary material.  
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

Received yesterday as a Birthday Present

Airfile Inform & Inspire: Adler Gegen England - The Luftwaffe's Air Campaign against the British Isles 1941-1945

Just in time for the BoB group build to be finished but a welcome addition to the library anyway.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

A delayed Xmas pressie, Max Hasting's 'Secret War, 1939-45'.

One hefty book and no doubt full of useful information, but I'm finding it very hard going, mainly because of all of the almost unpronounceable Russian names.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Ifor

Cromwells Generals by John Barratt
Jagdverband 44, Osprey Aviation Elite
CSS Alabama vs USS Kearsarge

Has anyone read Europe's X Planes, one or two by Tony Butler? Number One hasn't the best review, and there isn't one for two

TallEng

Looking down the corridors (allied aerial espionage over East Germany and Berlin 1945-1990)
By Kevin Wright and Peter Jefferies
Interesting if a little dry, lots of sqn numbers units involved etc, although surprisingly (or not ;D)
Not many pictures of the aircraft involved.
And one I'm looking forward to reading ;
Schneider trophy seaplanes and flying boats, Victors, Vanquished and visions,
Comes with 1/72 scale plans/drawings of most of them :thumbsup:
By Ralph Pegram

Regards,
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Nick

John Derry: The Story of Britain's First Supersonic Pilot
By Brian Rivas and Annie Bullen

Sadly John Derry died aged only 30 when his De Havilland 110 broke up mid air in a sequence that lasted less than a second, whilst overhead the 1952 Farnborough Air Show. This is all about his life in flight. I haven't got into this yet but it should go well with Empire of the Clouds.
This was a surprise gift from a friend at work and I will enjoy reading it.

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 02, 2016, 07:38:28 AM
A delayed Xmas pressie, Max Hasting's 'Secret War, 1939-45'.

One hefty book and no doubt full of useful information, but I'm finding it very hard going, mainly because of all of the almost unpronounceable Russian names.

I found it a very good read it. As for the names - I simply read them in "my way" and the brain copes  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

Quote from: Ifor on January 02, 2016, 09:07:37 AM
Has anyone read Europe's X Planes, one or two by Tony Butler? Number One hasn't the best review, and there isn't one for two

I've read about half of Volume I. It's a list of experimental aircraft projects, with about 10 pages per project giving a history of the project and its results. It also contains lots of photos (many in B&W, supplemented with profile drawings in color).

I liked the book. In addition to describing the aircraft, the book gives some insight into the questions aircraft designers were trying to resolve post-WW2.
Some of the aircraft I already knew about from other books (the SR.53 and 177 I've read about in more detail than this book provides) but many others were new to me (the French projects, for example).

Steel Penguin

a new to me copy of warhammer fantasy battles ( 2nd edition).   box is a bit battered but the 3 books and the fast play card are in there, so works for what I want,  fast and fun.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Ifor

The Wooksta!

Fair few recently...

George Orwell's "Keep the Aspidistra Flying" and "A Clergyman's Daughter"

Joseph P Farrell's "The Third Way: The Nazi International, European Union and Corporate Fascism"

C.J. Sansom's "Dominion"
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Nick

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 04, 2016, 01:08:21 PM
Fair few recently...

C.J. Sansom's "Dominion"

Dominion is a great read. Quite chilling to think Britain nearly went down that road.

The Wooksta!

I like to think of it - from what I've read so far - as a semi-sequel to Deighton's "SS-GB" which I was foolish to give away recently.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

I have both of those, both pretty chilling thinking that I'd have BEEN there at the time!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit