My library just grew again 2016

Started by Rheged, December 29, 2015, 02:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Beyond the Spitfire: The Unseen Designs of R.J. Mitchell, Ralph Pegram, The History Press 2016.
:thumbsup:

High Speed Marine Craft: One Hundred Knots at Sea, Peter J. Mantle, Cambridge University Press 2015
:thumbsup:
Just started leafing through it, very technical but also full of loads of details I've not seen elsewhere.  :wub:
The author started at SARO in 1951, received his Master's Degree from Cranfield in 1958, emigrated to Canada
that year and then to the US in 1960. Worked on the MARAD VRC-1 SES test craft program 1960-64, was
Technical Director and Program Manager for Bell's SES-100B and on and on including Program Director
for Lockheed's Sea Shadow:thumbsup:

NARSES2

Caught up with my Conn Iggulden  War of the Roses and picked up 3 & 4 - Ravenspur and Bloodline
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Received today

Valiant Publications, Airframe Album 2, The Hawker Sea Fury

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

Was given some cool old magazines yesterday :

Canadian Aviation, August 1974, 50 years of RCAF
Flight, September 1952, Farnborough report ( wow )
Flight, April 1954, Power Units of the World. Great info and adverts in these two !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Quote from: Captain Canada on June 06, 2016, 04:49:39 PM

Flight, September 1952, Farnborough report ( wow )

Was the year the prototype De Havilland DH 110 broke up in mid air and crashed into the spectators

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1952_Farnborough_Airshow_DH.110_crash
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

Scary ! I was going to leaf through it tonite, I`m sure that will be mentioned !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

Dune Messiah - Kindle download for a long journey, got about two-thirds of the way through it.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Rheged

From the charity shops of Hereford, A)"Pioneers to Partners"...pictures of every British or part British aircraft constructed since 1945......and B) "A Chronology of the Second World War"....which has proved an unexpectedly interesting  read.
Not bad for £1.75!! 
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Early for a lunch date so browsing in Smiths got a bookazine "Heavy Fighters of WWII" and then in Waterstones got a primer on French history. Realised that whilst watching the Musketeers and Versailles on tv (I know they are hugely fictionalised  ;D) that I don't have much French historical knowledge to put them into context. For O Level we did the major European countries histories from about 1870 but not before that. Before that it was purely in terms of how they involved themselves with British history.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Picked up a copy of "Cold War Jets - Royal Air Force Fighters & Bombers "
Published by Mortons and written by Chris Sandham-Bailey.
130 pages with 280 coloured profiles,  scaled plans,  specifications and military history.
There's a few typo errors and the odd real world whiff paint scheme.
Aircraft covered are;
Gloster Meteor & Javelin
De Havilland Vampire & Venom
English Electric Canberra & Lightning
Supermarine Swift
Hawker Hunter
Vickers Valiant
Handley Page Victor
Avro Vulcan
Hawker Siddley/BAe Harriet
Blackburn Buccaneer
Sepecat Jaguar
There's a colour chart with the BS and FS number as a paint guide.

Spey_Phantom

got this one fresh off the presses  ;D

Wunderwaffen 5: Disaster Day  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

jcf

Mossie

Two dinosaur books, to feed an old fascination I had when I was younger:

The Dinosaur Encyclopedia by DK
Dinosaurs of the British Isles by Dean R. Lomax & Nobumichi Tamura

The first one was clearly aimed at kids by the cover, but is more in depth than I expected, covering pretty much all animal life and not just dinosaurs.  Cost me £4 from a discount rack in WH Smith.
The second one is a more serious volume, from a serious bookshop (Waterstones) and with a serious price tag too!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on June 24, 2016, 05:18:48 AM
Two dinosaur books, to feed an old fascination I had when I was younger:

You would be very interested in the Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller Alberta then Simon --- only about an hour's drive from where I live, or from Calgary

http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

I certainly would, look fantastic.  I've visited the Natural History Museums in both London and Dublin, very different (Dublin is old-school, lots of stuff on shelves and in cabinets, London more modern) but both excellent.  If I ever get to Canada (I will one day, it's on the 'bucket list') that museum might well be on the visit.