My library just grew again 2016

Started by Rheged, December 29, 2015, 02:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

NARSES2

I think mine is awaiting collection tomorrow
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

McColm

Picked up a copy of 'Stealth Operations Declassified'. AirForces Publication.
History-Prototypes-Technology
UK £5.99
98 pages with colour photos and concept artwork.
Some of the subjects have already been Whiffed on this site and the stealthy Hawk/Silent Hawk helicopter which has picked the best bits of the cancelled Comanche prototype . This article goes into depth about the raid to kill Osama Bin Laden.
Another article features Stealth UK Style, whereas the established F-117, B-2 and F-22 are all profiled.
The Russian and Chinese projects plus the ones that never made it passed the drawing board or did they?
Most of the articles are pure speculation going on what people have seen or captured on film.
A reference for future builds.

NARSES2

My copy of French Secret Projects was waiting for me today  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

An order of two books from SAM publications arrived this morning, 25% sale so I saved a reasonable amount

Modellers Data File 26 : A-1 Skyraider

Modellers Data File Scaled Down 4 : The Hawker Sea Fury

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

McColm

Aviation Archive has produced an interesting
magazine based around  'Farnborough The Golden Years'.
97 pages of black and white photos with line cutaway drawings. There is a rare colour photo.
This covers most of the flying prototypes that could have entered service the British Army, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force. There are a few surprises, a few design changes that happened before the production model was brought into service.
Lots of whiffing potential, rare photos and rare behind the scenes info.
Priced at £7.95

Rheged

For only £1.99 in Oxfam Hereford today, "Jane's  Encyclopaedia of Aviation"   A4 in size and two inches thick.  It looks like a list of every aircraft that has ever flown from the Wright Brothers to 1980.   More details when I've read some of it.......
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Rheged

From a junk shop in Droitwich, "DC3 Super Profile"  AND Airlife "Classic Propliners"  for 20p......yes, 20p for the two.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

jcf

Arrived the other day:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Really good.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I supposed the unmanned scale model (s) that were launched from a Mosquito are still out there somewhere ?

Gondor

From a trip to TsrJoe's place with a couple of books

The Vulcan Story by Tim Laming
The illustrated History of McDonnell Douglas Aircraft from Cloudster to Boeing
and
The Race for Hitler's X-Planes by John Christopher

Gondor

jcf

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 10, 2016, 06:19:26 AM
I supposed the unmanned scale model (s) that were launched from a Mosquito are still out there somewhere ?
The chapter on the Vickers tests gives a good view of events and includes a table of test drops.

A1 and A3 (the only one to have a successful launch and flight BTW) might be out there, both were complete airframes as was A2.
The other five launches were fuselage only for rocket starting tests, with the results one 'evidence of ignition', one explosion, three successful ignitions.

A1, lost in cloud due to suspension lug failure, no launch, probably ended up in Bristol Channel. 30/5/47
A2, exploded after drop, total loss. 8/10/47
A3, successful release, ignition and flight, disappeared into the west. 3/10/48

NARSES2

Cheers Jon.

I love the phrase "disappeared into the west"  ;D