Il-28 Seabeagle

Started by zenrat, December 30, 2015, 05:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Don't forget it's downhill all the way.

I cleaned up one set of props today and hit a snag.  They are such a good fit they leave no room round the edges for air to get into the engine.

I will add an intake on top of the nacelle.  It'll improve the shape anyway and hide some of my dubious blending between Ilushyn and Fairey.
I glued the fuselage halves together today and then hurriedly separated them as I realised I hadn't built the bomb bay. :banghead:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

They are rather nice aren't they.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

rickshaw

Where did they originate from?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

tigercat

My brain keeps reading Seabeagle as Seagull looks interesting :)

zenrat

Quote from: rickshaw on January 15, 2016, 04:59:43 AM

NARSES2 - he thinks they are either Shackleton or Spitfire.

Quote from: salt6 on January 15, 2016, 08:05:59 PM
Why not just cut the nacelle back a bit?

Because (although you can't see it clearly in the crappy phone pic) the end of the nacelle is a separate piece. with a small intake on it just to the port side of centre.  I don't want to lose that.
I've made an intake from part of a 1/48 rocket pod which seems to work.
Fred

zenrat

Another crappy phone pic showing the intake.

Now I have to make another one the same.
Fred

Gondor

That upper intake looks poor and out of place. The basic idea is fine though. I would cut the underside of that upper intake back so that the front of the intake is vertical and no, changing the face of the intake to make that vertical where it is would not work as its the curvature of the top of the intake that is making it look wrong. Aesthetics can be everything at times and that intake looks more Kerbal Space Program that Soviet Aviation.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on January 16, 2016, 08:43:58 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on January 15, 2016, 04:59:43 AM

NARSES2 - he thinks they are either Shackleton or Spitfire.

They're Aeroclub Spitfire contra-props. Chris sent me a set for my MB8 Marlin a while back and I recognise them. The spinner's too pointed for a Shack prop.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Looking good ! Can't wait to see more.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

A little blending of those scoops will be fine. I'm sure I will steal these ideas soon.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Thanks Kit.

Quote from: Gondor on January 17, 2016, 04:46:05 AM
That upper intake looks poor and out of place. The basic idea is fine though. I would cut the underside of that upper intake back so that the front of the intake is vertical and no, changing the face of the intake to make that vertical where it is would not work as its the curvature of the top of the intake that is making it look wrong. Aesthetics can be everything at times and that intake looks more Kerbal Space Program that Soviet Aviation.

Gondor

Thanks for the input Alastair.  They look better in the flesh.  The front is actually vertical when viewed from the side.  This is an odd angle photowise.
IMO they don't look any more tacked on that the ones Fairey/Napier stuck on below.
The curve on the top of the intake blends it into the area where the nacelle joins the wing.  Cutting down the back would leave an awkward step and raising the front would make it overly tall.
i'll have another look at it tomorrow though.

In the meantime I have removed the radome from the bottom of the fuselage and replaced it with a larger one made from a 1/25 spare wheel cover.
Fred

zenrat

I've reworked the top intake to bring it lower and make it flow into the top of the nacelle better.
I have a picture which shows this but for some reason photobucket is refusing to accept my uploads.
Fred

zenrat

Mock up.  Wings not fixed on yet as there is at least 1 more round of PSR needed on the nacelles.

And these are what it'll be carrying.  Watson 5-J Swiften long range anti ship missiles.
Fred

zenrat

Wings are attached.

Not a brilliant fit.  Some PSR will be required.  The join isn't too strong either.  I would have put in some styrene rod spars but the bomb bay is in the way.  Presumably Italeri have made it taller than IRL.
Almost completed '40 Ford gasser behind it.  What young men distracted themselves with during the 60's to take their minds off of the imminent threat of nuclear destruction.
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on January 31, 2016, 02:20:57 AM
Almost completed '40 Ford gasser behind it.  What young men distracted themselves with during the 60's to take their minds off of the imminent threat of nuclear destruction.

Not in my neck of the woods. Here, if we thought about it at all, it was beer and girls  :rolleyes:  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.