Strength is Victory: भारतीय ईगल of भारतीय वायु सेना

Started by Gondor, January 04, 2016, 03:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

So while on the subject of undercarriage I decided to do a little work on some of the doors.

As Airfix decided to make the undercarriage doors sit in the open position this means that some of the parts don't fit as well as they could when closed. It's not such a problem for the doors on the fuselage sides but the doors on the underside have to fit over what looks like part of the boundary layer exhaust ducting, it could be something else but the point is that it is easy for there to be a miss match between door and the duct. I decided that it would be far easier to simply glue the duct to the door.

So that was the progress shots which ended up in this....

which looks far better than if the door was trying to not only fit the fuselage opening but the duct as well

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Two posts in one day! People will think I have my mojo back or something  ;D

Pretty pictures of some more work.

It's another one of those spiders......

Since I don't know if Campbell is making anything at the moment I thought I would have a go at detailing the fin. So far so good but as I have only cut out the area of the intake, the easy part.

Ladies and gentlemen, on the left may I present the Odds And Ordinance replacement TSR2 tail while on the right is the Airfix example.....

It should be easy to do he says........ cut out part of the leading edge of the fin then make a hollow rectangular tube to take the part of the leading edge intake, blend the two together and voilà. What could be simpler?  :blink:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

Quote from: Gondor on January 19, 2016, 02:22:27 PM

It should be easy to do he says........ cut out part of the leading edge of the fin then make a hollow rectangular tube to take the part of the leading edge intake, blend the two together and voilà. What could be simpler?  :blink:

Gondor

Actually this was not too bad

All the component parts together

The two small pieces or rod are 0.010" x 0.030" plastic strip and I am not sure what the parts that are for the side are in thickness as it was a piece of scrap on my workbench

I glued the small strips in place first, far easier than after any other part and by adding glue to the sides then adding them to the fin I would not move the small plastic strip.

One side on

One of the hardest things to do so far with this was placing the sides onto the fin but I managed it

So I still have to add some filler to blend all the parts together as well as trim the parts to the fin but I think it's looking good. Not bad for 1/72 scale I think  ;D

Gondor

Gondor

The finished tail fin

Mine is the one on the right.

Next one I detail I will use thinner card for the sides as they look a little thick to me.

Gondor

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Finally got back to doing something with this build, or any build for that matter.

Last week I had a little trip into Edinburgh to visit Wonderland so I could get something to use as a new axle as per Kit's suggestion. It's only taken me a week to start the repair upgrade but I have now started.

The material I am using..... cut roughly to length

What is to be removed

One hole, mid way through making it to the right size which in this case is to be 1.6mm so I am taking it in steps

In place but not glued yet

Test fitted with a bogie in place so I could fix the depth of the axle prior to fixing it in place

Not worried if the bogie is the correct one for the leg, it was just used for test fitting the new axle. Not worried if it shows through, that can be filed down until it's flush

The seats have also had some seat belts added then I gave the whole seat a coat of varnish to help keep the belts in place as they are only painted masking tape.

The seats have been glued into the cockpit area to wait on me to put the instrument panels in place and to replace both of the main undercarriage axles. Once that's done the fuselage half's will be assembled into one!

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

This is 1/72nd, yah? :blink:

I'm never touching an aircraft again! :o

(edit to fix typo)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 08, 2016, 07:31:02 PM
This is 1/72nd, yah? :blink:

I'm never touching a aircraft again! :o

I wouldn't go that far. But I might avoid the TSR2 in my stash for a bit longer...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

It's not the easiest kit in the world to build, even in OOB form, but looks great when it's done well, as Alastair's doing.

It'd be interesting to see how the 'New Airfix' would have engineered the TSR2, but it'll never happen of course.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Old Wombat

They don't count! They is crazy, weird Mo-Fo's*. :blink:

We're just weird! ;D

(* = modelling fellows ;) )
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 09, 2016, 01:39:38 AM
It's not the easiest kit in the world to build, even in OOB form, but looks great when it's done well, as Alastair's doing.

It'd be interesting to see how the 'New Airfix' would have engineered the TSR2, but it'll never happen of course.

Hopefully they would have used reference pictures of the aircraft from around the time it flew rather than purely from the aircraft in the museum as all the undercarriage doors are designed to be open which they would only be during a major servicing when in a hanger. They could also have made a better go at having the top of the forward fuselage blending in with the surface above the wing too. As for the undercarriage, there is the problem with the axle that has recently been talked about but added to that there is difficulty in precisely placing the struts for the main undercarriage legs. I had to look at several pictures of the aircraft before guessing where they went  :banghead: Oh, and the cockpit decals could be made the right size to fit onto the instrument panels and side consoles.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on February 09, 2016, 08:48:13 AM
Oh, and the cockpit decals could be made the right size to fit onto the instrument panels and side consoles.

Gondor

You can only JUST see them anyway, and the rear pit is 100% invisible.

Regards
Kit