The new Horten is finished...yes, its a what-if.

Started by matrixone, January 15, 2016, 03:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

My first new build of the year is now finished, its the 1/72 scale Revell Horten Ho 229.

The model was built O.O.B. and was painted with Model Master enamels. I put this aircraft in JG 400 markings.

After looking at these pictures you may be wondering why the aircraft has mottling on the top AND lower surfaces...the reason is these aircraft operated at the frontline on airbases that were nothing more than large fields next to forests and when not in use the Ho 229's were pushed into the tree lines backwards with the nose pointing outwards, the tree branches provided some natural camouflage so the aircraft could not be seen from the air. However there were some cases where allied fighter/bombers flying low at sunrise or near sunset were able to see the light colored RLM 76 undersurface of the Ho 229 because of its nose high stance and once the position of the base was detected it was soon strafed or bombed.
As a way to provide some additional camouflage for the Ho 229 the front half of the lower surfaces were sprayed with a darker color with squiggles or mottles. This field applied paint combined with the use of camouflage netting or tree branches made it difficult to see the Ho 229's even when at close range. Some ground crews even sprayed on some lighter colored mottling on the leading edges on the upper surfaces, this gave a similar camouflage effect like that used on German armor with the ambush scheme.

On to the pictures...

Matrixone

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

matrixone

Thank you Gondor!

A couple more images of this model.

Matrixone

dogsbody

"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

dumaniac

great build - I love the pic with several Ho's in one place

Modelling_Mushi

Again, gorgeaous. Love the photography, looks very period.
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

NARSES2

Superb build as usual and the camoflage is just gorgeous  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

matrixone

Thanks very much for the comments! :thumbsup:

Another picture of the Horten, a close up of the jet exhausts.

Matrixone

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

matrixone

Cobra

Another Masterpiece from the Master,matrixone :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow: :bow: You Really know how to make Any Model Look Very Convincing! Hope to see More Great stuff From You :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

matrixone

Thanks Cobra! :cheers:

If you like the Horten you will like the Ju EF 128 and Me P.1101 even better. ;)

Matrixone

Allan

once again, inspiring modelling Matrixone...can't wait for what's next!!!!!!!!!!!!
Allan in Canberra