Ice Station DELTA, F-102's and refueling submarine on ice. *FINISHED*

Started by sandiego89, January 19, 2016, 04:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Finally got back to work.  

The F-102 production line has opened up.  Kit bash in 1/350 scale.  

A-7 fuselage. F/A-18 (clear) nose, tube styrene aft fuselage, cut down 1/72 retarded bomb for air intakes, putty.....self inflicted torture.... :banghead:

Stock A-7 on top.  

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Dizzyfugu

:thumbsup: Reminds of my "Florian" mecha build last year - the head alone (less than 1" long) consisted of 20 or more parts...

Excellent, really looking forward to what comes out here. Looks epic.  :bow:

Captain Canada

Love it. I've always said I'm going to keep track of your 350 scale aeroplane mods. I need to start writing this stuff down !

:blink: :bow: :wub: :banghead: :thumbsup:

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Thanks guys!

The production floor at CONVAIR San Diego is up and running  ;).  5 F-102's and a single TF-102 are is the main mating stations where wings and the vertical stabilzer are mated to the fuselage.

CONVAIR SeaDarts shared part of the production floor.

Made 2 F-102s from the A-7 fuselage and scratch styrene, then used one of these to make a resin master.  Tan fuselages casted in resin.  Clear noses from F/A-18D. White wings, fin and aft "area rule" bulges from sheet styrene. 1/350 scale.

TF-102, wider forward fuselage, and much larger cockpit tub and fairing.  

Dave "Sandiego89"

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

Oh my, those look awesome ! can't wait to see more, especially the TF !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

When these are done you should photograph them lined up along the top of your B36 Cropsprayer.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

I think your getting your TF-102's mixed up with your TF-106's

The TF-102 was side by side seating and must stake a claim for one of the ugliest aircraft ever while the TF-106 is a nice sleek machine with Tandem seating.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

sandiego89

Quote from: Gondor on March 16, 2016, 05:56:05 AM
I think your getting your TF-102's mixed up with your TF-106's

The TF-102 was side by side seating and must stake a claim for one of the ugliest aircraft ever while the TF-106 is a nice sleek machine with Tandem seating.

Gondor

No I think I am good, I am aware that the TF-102 is side by side and the 106 is tandem.  The TF-102 cockpit is wider, sits higher and even with the side by side seating the glass area is quite a bit longer than the standard single seater, with a very deep V to the front windscreen- thus the longish tub.  I have taken these measurements into account, and still have to refine the tub a bit to fit the glass, so she may look like a tandem cockpit at this stage, but she is not tandem.  There is also a pronounced hump to the rear of the glass. I have built these into the TF.

I do agree she is in the running for ugliest, especially when compared to the Six!  :thumbsup:
Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

A few challenges I have in scratch building my small 1/350 (and 1/700) aircraft:

1) Gluing my fingers together.  ;D
2) Losing tiny bits
3) Aligning bits like the wings and stabilizers at the proper angle.

To help remedy 3, I created a simple jig to align parts and glue them at the proper location, and at the the proper angle.  I created this from scrap styrene and spray painted it yellow for this photo.  I ensured there were strategic gaps between the fuselage and parts of the jig so i would not glue the aircraft to the jig. A quick drop or two of super glue, and let it let it sit.   Remove the aircraft from the jig and commence to more robustly glue and fill in gaps. 

-Dave

Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Whew, I just might make it....

The fiddling with the tiny bits is taking loads of time.  Landing gear, gear doors from scratch, scratch clear canopies (not shown), drop tanks- in 1/350 scale  :o

Need a trash hauler to carry out supplies that are too ungainly for the submarine to manage: runway groomers, heaters, starters, etc. A 1/48 bomb, 1/350 nacelles from a SC-1 and scratch styrene wings for the makings of a Goony Bird on skis...   

Dave "Sandiego89"

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

KiwiZac

Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates