Operation Crossroads F4U-4K

Started by Scooterman, January 23, 2016, 07:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooterman

After serving with several squadrons, this Corsair was converted to an F4U-4K target drone with the installation of sophisticated radio-control equipment. It was painted red/orange with pink tail that carried the number 8. Its mission was to be used in Operation Crossroads - the atomic bomb tests at Bikini Atoll. It flew on June 24, 1946, with a pilot, on a practice flight and was launched, unmanned, soon after the first bomb test. Instrumentation on board and photographic plates taped to the control stick obtained data on radioactivity. Three more manned flights preceded the final unmanned flight on July 25, 1946, which evaluated the first underwater explosion. Records indicate that exposure of this aircraft to the radioactive cloud was minimal and residual radiation is negligible.

Hobbyboss F4U-4 Easy kit 1/72. Tamiya paints and decals from the bank.

zenrat

Way cool.
Did you use glow in the dark paint?  ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Modelling_Mushi

Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

sandiego89

Wow, great idea and execution.  Like the Hellcats that were used, but better! 

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

You didn't have to do all that pesky cockpit detailing, or paint up a pilot either! What's not to like?  ;D :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Army of One

That looks great........i just been reading up on a 1/72 build on a Hellcat in an old modelling mag........you done really well :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Captain Canada

Love it. Looks excellent in those colours !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Just wondering if it would have been nicknamed "Benny"?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu