The PoAF's 1st Swept-Wing Jet Fighter - Saab J 29F Tunnan

Started by DogfighterZen, January 27, 2016, 07:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

Decals on, tomorrow is another coat of gloss varnish. :thumbsup:

The Santa Cruz Decals, printed by Colorado/Carpena, are really thick, they needed a lot of microset, maybe microsol would work better but i only have the set solution. Besides not conforming properly to panel lines, they tend to tear easily after you apply microset. The fuselage roundels kept splitting in 2 bits each but i decided i was just adjusting them the best i could after the 3rd pair was ruined... :banghead:
Surprisingly enough, the old Matchbox decals went on with little problems, just a bit of yellow glue which was washed off with microset and it was just a few small data decals.
I know the Tunnan didn't have a very shiny finish but i wanted mine to look more like the F-86 Sabre, maybe it could fool a few JMNs... :wacko:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

Thank you, guys! I admit, it is a pretty barrel... ;D :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

DogfighterZen

Well, finally got the antennas and landing gear assembled, all it's missing is a pair of missiles.

DogfighterZen

Ok, my first whif GB entry is finished! :party:

I'll have the backstory and a few more and, hopefully, better pics in a few days. Hope you guys like it, i enjoyed this simple build and also, sticking to the original plan i had for this kit since i bought it.
Thanks for looking! :thumbsup:

zenrat

Thats awesome DFZ.  You've done a great job.
Every time I see those roundels i am reminded of the strip Nemesis the Warlock in 2000AD comic.  The bad guys (led by Tomas De Torquemada) had similar imagery.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Captain Canada

That looks great ! Surprising how sleek she looks in those colours and markings. I think the Sidewinders help as well.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

Thanks, guys! Glad you like the barrel! :thumbsup:
BTW, being a Portuguese barrel, it would probably be filled up with red wine...  ;D That brings to mind another nickname for it besides Barril... ;D
I'll try to have the backstory tonight along with a few more pics.

Quote from: zenrat on March 10, 2016, 02:44:46 AM
Every time I see those roundels i am reminded of the strip Nemesis the Warlock in 2000AD comic.  The bad guys (led by Tomas De Torquemada) had similar imagery.

I didn't know that comic, looked it up and found Torquemada's roundel to be very cool! Would make for nice markings on an aircraft. :thumbsup:

Quote from: Captain Canada on March 10, 2016, 04:43:14 AM
Surprising how sleek she looks in those colours and markings. I think the Sidewinders help as well.

She does look rather sleek for its rotund shape...  ;D And i agree, the winders do help with the looks, i had to have them on but it wasn't easy to find pics of the Tunnan carrying them for reference.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

DogfighterZen

"In 1952, with the creation of the new Portuguese Air Force, fighter jets were the first acquisitions since Salazar acknowledged its potential and possible effect that would have on the control capacity of the colonized territories. After the introduction of the F-86 jet and the Mig-15, pilots around the world knew these were the state-of-the-art aircraft of their day and obviously, interest rapidly started to grow among PoAF generals.
Since the agreement that would bring the F-86 to Portugal was still to come in 1957, the PoAF's Generals were told to first looked among its NATO allies in Europe. After being turned down by the European NATO countries due to his colonial policy, Salazar finally listened to his Air Force generals and gave them the green light to procure outside of NATO.
After tough negotiations, also due to Portugal being a colonial country, a deal was finally made with Saab and the Swedish Government, which resulted in 5 J 29B fighters delivered in 1953 and 15 in 1955, which would already be the F version, with a "dog tooth" on the leading edge of the wings and the afterburning engine DeHavilland Ghost.
In 1961, the Portuguese Colonial War begins in Angola and Salazar decided to display force to what he thought was only a minor terrorism wave, so 8 Sabres were dispatched to Guinea in August, 1961. The Tunnan was to remain in Portugal and not see service in the war because of the ever-growing pressure exerted by the United Nations.
In 1963, the first 5 model B fighters were extensively modernized up to the F standard and all the fighters were given the ability to fire Aim-9B Sidewinder missiles. The missiles were already available on the PoAF's arsenal because the F-86F Sabre already used them since 1962. The Tunnan was loved by both ground crews and pilots, and although both words mean the same, some affectionately called it "Pipa" but most preferred the more masculine name of "Barril", which obviously means barrel.
Both fighters were used together since the F-86 arrived in Portugal in 1958, up to the phase-out of the last 10 Tunnan in 1974. "

zenrat

Bravo.

I'd hope the barrel would be filled with port...
Fred

DogfighterZen

Quote from: zenrat on March 10, 2016, 11:34:46 PM
Bravo.

I'd hope the barrel would be filled with port...

;D Could also be the good old fashioned firewater with honey, we call it melosa, and that is sweet, my friend...  :wacko:
http://www.hotrumcow.co.uk/interesting-drinks-worth-trying-no-4-aguardente-de-medronho/