DONE +++ English Electric P.6/1 "Levin", RAF 65 Sq., Coningsby 1983 (pics@p. 4)

Started by Dizzyfugu, January 31, 2016, 02:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

What a splendid device, I love it!  :thumbsup: :bow:

That's got better and better as the build went on Thomas, great work.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Oh. Wow. For sure that's a show stopper ! You've hit one out of the park with this one. The pics are even better than usual, which is a big ask ! love the second shot, from below with the burner, and then 4th shot of her taxiing. most excellent !

:wub: :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

Awesome build and great pics!
Where did you get the back drop photos? Did you take them yourself or are they from the web?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Excellent, although I agree with DFZ - better without the tanks.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Thank you very much. :cheers:  Personally, the second shot (from behind/below with the afterburner glowing) is actually one of my favorites, too, because it emphasizes the Levin's clean lines, the single engine and the wing shape. Took a lot of editing, though, hiding the landing gear away took some time...  :rolleyes:

The backgrounds are, as per usual, high resolution web pictures, printed in A3 format (18x12") - the pics were a lucky find, from walkarounds on several RAF airfields: http://inreachoftheskies.co.uk/airfields%202.html

I am divided concerning the overwing tanks -  the clean configuration looks fast and sleek, but IMHO the tanks do not appear as bulky as on a Lightning F.6, probably because the deep belly is missing.

Glad you like it!  :lol:

Old Wombat

Truly inspired, Dizzy! :thumbsup:

Not a fan of over-wing stores on any aircraft, so I agree with zenrat & DFZ there, but it was a standard British practice for quite a while & is, therefore, appropriate.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 25, 2016, 11:53:04 PM
Thank you very much. :cheers:  Personally, the second shot (from behind/below with the afterburner glowing) is actually one of my favorites,

Yup fantastic, atmospheric shot. The whole build is just incredible  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

I could have sworn I'd left a comment on this build, but apparently not: I'm doing that a lot these days.... :banghead:

Anyway...

This is a great build Dizzy: welcome to the single-enigined Lightning club! ;D

Something that struck me on my build after I was finished is that you might be able to carry a pair of drop tank under the wings and inboard of the undercarriage wells, in a similar manner to the F-84. You can't do this on a Lightning because they'd be too close to the deep fuselage and aerodynamic interference would set it, but on my mid-wing build it looks plenty feasible. Since the wing of the Levin is set high, I'm not sure if it would work or not: you'd just have to offer it up and see if it looked right. Another point worthy of note: if the Lightning tanks are too big for this exercise, then the F-9F Tiger tanks are almost exactly the same shape, complete with the vertical wedge back end, but about half the size...

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.