YF-19: America's forgotten intercepter Photo Update 1: 1.2.16

Started by Raptormodeller, January 31, 2016, 03:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raptormodeller

June, 1979, Alaska. At a lonely air-base, the air-raid warning blares out. The pilots not knowing if it's an exercise or the real deal, run for their lives to their ageing F-106 intercepters. As soon as they take-off they hear on the radio: "6 Bears at at angels 50". With their hearts in their mouths the pilots race to 50 000 feet to intercept and destroy the Bear bombers. But when they get there, nothing, not a bird in the sky. The bombers have already left. And then, on the radio: "we're taking hits on the runway". The 'Darts head to another air-base, their's is in flames. News of this spreads around the world like a forest fire. The Russians claim that they bombed the base to dissuade the Americans from transferring ICBM's to Alaska. When the president heard that the intercepters failed to destroy the bombers, he ordered "all available F-15's, F-16's and F-14's to Alaska". Five F-15's and 6 F-16's all brand-spanking new left for Alaska. For two weeks, the Eagles and Falcons failed to intercept the bombers. It turned out, that the Russians flew as low as possible, sometimes at less than 50 feet to avoid radar, and then, six miles from the air-bases, they would induce a neck breaking almost vertical climb to 50 000 feet, drop the bombs and then dive for cover. It happened so quickly that when the fighters reached that altitude, the bombers were already 20 000 feet below them.
Britain laughed at this performance from the Americans. A Russian raid on the Shetland Islands ICBM base had ended in disaster when four Lightnings based at a nearby airfield had annihilated the bombers from ABOVE. Their response time was three minutes. And one and a half minutes later they were 10 000 feet above the bombers and then, they fired their red top missiles and destroyed the bombers.
When the Americans heard of this, they asked for ten F.6 Lightning. And in the best English manner the Brits' said "Well that's a bloody big NO, good day!"
Instead, they sent 74 squadron to Alaska. Three raids were stopped in their tracks. The Americans, despite the big "NO" from the RAF, had been given basic information on the wing of the Lightning. If they couldn't buy the Lightning, they would make a better one. In their eyes at least. What they did was very onorthodox: take the wings of a Lightning, put them on a F-18 fuselage and add more powerful engines. The result was rather potent. Despite having a slightly slower rate of climb it could still easily match the Lightning. It was named: YF-19 Striker. It flew just 36 times, but it destroyed 6 Bear bombers. It was cancelled in 1981 due to its very evident lack of multirole abilities. Northrop, pointed out that it could reconfigure the four underwing hardpoints to carry rocket pods. This was ignored. Luckily, all YF-19's were preserved. N°1 aircraft stands proudly in front of their main production plant.
- Lightning F.6 wings
- Typhoon drop tanks

Quick question: How would you post photographs on whatifmodelers using photo bucket for image hosting?

chomp chomp
-raptor

A raptor with a difference
Whiffs are life                                            I found vis on vi intarnat i down noh  
the worlds ONLY modelling raptor               whow toow speel

Old Wombat

Weird idea! :rolleyes:

Should be fun! :thumbsup:

Try reading this thread re: posting from P'bucket: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,32096.0.html

(I just use the "Share" function & "Direct" for each photo I'm sharing, paste the link in the post on its own line & highlight it as an image (the little framed picture icon above the text box).)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Raptormodeller

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 31, 2016, 04:21:28 AM
Weird idea! :rolleyes:

Should be fun! :thumbsup:

Try reading this thread re: posting from P'bucket: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,32096.0.html

(I just use the "Share" function & "Direct" for each photo I'm sharing, paste the link in the post on its own line & highlight it as an image (the little framed picture icon above the text box).)

Thanks for the help Wombat!

(I wasn't)
Whiffs are life                                            I found vis on vi intarnat i down noh  

Old Wombat

No worries, mate! :thumbsup:

I was, but only until I was 71/2. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Raptormodeller on January 31, 2016, 04:33:48 AM

(I wasn't)

I was.  ;D

I was in my 20s for most of the 60s...........

[JMN mode]

Actually that Lightning pic must have been taken in the 70s or 80s. It's a camouflaged F6 and that combination didn't happen for a while after the 60s.

[/JMN mode]  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Raptormodeller

Thanks already for the 'feedback', that photo was made using bughugelabs motivational posters for your information.
The progress: (no photos today) -dry fitted everything apart from the landing gear, cockpit, wings (still need to sand some bit down before fitting) and tails. She looks good. Photos to come soon.
Right now she looks like an F-18 with F-104 wings, drop tanks where the tails should be and a radiator from a spitfire bodged' behind the cockpit.

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Raptormodeller

Photo update. Dry fired pretty much all the main components apart from some fairly important lifting surfaces. The mods you can see are: Harrier GR7? nose, new canopy (points for whoever guesses where it came from), exterior life-support pod (spitfire radiatior behind the canopy) and the CFT's where the tails should be. The new tails will be mounted on the CFT's.
Anyway the photos, enjoy!  :lol: :cheers:

Hope you like it!

chomp chomp
-raptor

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Raptormodeller

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Raptormodeller

Raptormodeller

The maiming update, literally. I chopped off the elevators and 'wings' of the tub of the aircraft along with a bit of modification to the canopy. Next I primed the cockpit sides and the control panel. the wings? Well I still need to sand them but they're nearly ready!
Anyway, the photos! Enjoy.

That's it for today's update, I'm hoping to get the cockpit painted by the end of the weekend so I can start assembly.

chomp chomp
-raptor