Finnish Aircraft Serials pre 1945

Started by NARSES2, February 07, 2016, 06:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Couple of questions, one specific and one more general, and yes I have searched around and haven't come up with an answer.

The specific one first. If the Finn's had used Grumman aircraft what would the letters in the serial have likely been ? I'm going to build a Finnish AF Grumman F4F, not sure if immediately prior to the Continuation War or during it but need the serial letters.

A more general question is : could someone point me to a list of the letter combinations the Finn's used ? I have found one on line a while ago, but can I find it again ? Can I heck  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

AFAIK, the letters were freely inspired by the type's name or manufacturer. If you are dong a whiffy F4F, "GR-XXX" or "WC-YYY" is suitable.
Not certain about the numbers, though - I'd assume that these were more or less consecutive, but I am not certain about that.

JayBee

Chris,

try PMing TsrJoe, he is VERY knowledgeable on all things Finnish.

Jim

PS You may not get a quick answer.  :rolleyes:

PM inbound as well.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Snowtrooper

In the register system used from 1927 to the present day, the two letters in the registration code are indeed freely inspired by either the manufacturer or the name of the plane. The numbers are consecutive in theory, but only for a certain type, and also the starting point varies, and often you would have a new consecutive number series for each subtype or even batch, so first F4F-3's could have been GR-xx, second set GR-1xx, F4F-4's GR-2xx etc. The sourcebook (Finnish Air Force Camouflage and Markings (Apali, 1996)) I had available doesn't say how the numbering logic was/is actually determined (ie why certain types started from zero and others not). For example, our current Hornets have the codes HN-401 through HN-467.

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 07, 2016, 07:36:06 AM
AFAIK, the letters were freely inspired by the type's name or manufacturer. If you are dong a whiffy F4F, "GR-XXX" or "WC-YYY" is suitable.
Not certain about the numbers, though - I'd assume that these were more or less consecutive, but I am not certain about that.

I appreciate that Dizzy it's just I wanted to check and see if G or even GR had been used before (I fell into the already used trap once before  :banghead:). As for numbers ? To be honest I'll just use 3 that I have suitable digits for in the same font as the letters I end up using
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

perttime

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 07, 2016, 07:36:06 AM
Correct.
There's a list of all used letter combinations on a Finnish wikipedia page: https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luettelo_Suomen_ilmavoimien_ilma-aluksista
There's a tendency towards using consonants but they might have avoided WC.
Three figure numbers should work, starting from some low number like 1, 2, 3 or 4.

NARSES2