F-117 cover story

Started by Hobbes, February 20, 2016, 05:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

The USAF used some interesting tactics to keep the F-117 a secret during the early years of its operational life.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-f-117-stealth-fighter-program-actually-had-a-klingo-1759842067

- the 4450th Tactical Fighter Group operated A-7s by day, and the F-117 by night.
- to justify the use of the old A-7 by an experimental fighter group, they created a "cloaking device".

This was a baggage pod festooned with aerials. The nose had a clear cover (like an LGB) with a red light underneath.

- for visiting dignitaries, they'd dress up an empty hangar space with tools, a wheel or two and guys working on an 'invisible aircraft':

You've probably seen this type of photo done as a prank, but it amuses me the 4450 did it more-or-less seriously:

Dizzyfugu

Interesting that the wet outline in the lowest pic rather resembles an F-22?

DogfighterZen

I was thinking the same thing, the wet outline looks nothing like a F-117, much more like a Raptor.  :thumbsup:
It is amusing that they would do something like those fake setups for an invisible aircraft, i bet the soviets would be at least intrigued to see such photos... ;D

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Martin H

Luv the humor behind the pod story. Who said the USAF hasnt got a sense of humor?
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

tahsin

Once again a slight of sorts at the Soviet Intelligence capabilities. It's pointlessness can be measured from the oft repeated story that a few company officials wrote an insult on the roof of the Northrop facility for the B-2... As if the Russians didn't have all the blueprints and relevant material.

kerick

The Soviets were one problem, members of Congress were a different problem.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Hobbes

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 20, 2016, 05:23:10 AM
Interesting that the wet outline in the lowest pic rather resembles an F-22?

The wet outline is just a random sample I picked off the internet. Similar joke photos exist with F-117 outlines.

sandiego89

And there are other joke photos out there of armed guards around roped off "steath" aircraft at airshows- and only the chocks and boarding ladder are there-  Saw this done a few times in person- always got a good chuckle out of the crowd.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Rheged

Quote from: tahsin on February 24, 2016, 02:08:50 AM
Once again a slight of sorts at the Soviet Intelligence capabilities. It's pointlessness can be measured from the oft repeated story that a few company officials wrote an insult on the roof of the Northrop facility for the B-2...

Puts me in mind of the farmer near Spadeadam Ranges, who painted "SOD OFF, BIGGLES"  on the roof of his barn after a series of very low overflights some years ago.  I understand that he receives  cards every Christmas from the aircrew of several RAF squadrons , and every one signed "Best Wishes, James Bigglesworth and friends"
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

ChernayaAkula

I like this one:

Nice of him, greeting the passengers on approach.  :thumbsup: Only.... the house is located in Milwaukee!  :wacko:  ;D
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

KiwiZac

Quote from: sandiego89 on February 24, 2016, 05:13:12 AM
And there are other joke photos out there of armed guards around roped off "steath" aircraft at airshows- and only the chocks and boarding ladder are there-  Saw this done a few times in person- always got a good chuckle out of the crowd.  
A piece on the first visit by the F-19 to New Zealand, published in NZ Wings magazine in April 1988  :lol:

Quote from: Rheged on February 24, 2016, 05:30:23 AM
Puts me in mind of the farmer near Spadeadam Ranges, who painted "SOD OFF, BIGGLES"  on the roof of his barn after a series of very low overflights some years ago.  I understand that he receives  cards every Christmas from the aircrew of several RAF squadrons , and every one signed "Best Wishes, James Bigglesworth and friends"
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Captain Canada

Funny stuff ! Great thread Hobbes, always nice to have a laugh, and to learn something new !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?