Japanese a/c prototype color`

Started by MichelC, February 21, 2016, 12:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichelC

Apparently WW II Japanese a/c prototypes and trainer were painted a yellow/orange color. After Googling the subject, looking for what paint to use, I feel I know less than when I started. Any help on this would be appreciated, especially advise on what hobby paint to use.

M

zenrat

Can't help you but I know how you feel.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Green Dragon

Think Aeromaster used to do it but they're gone now. Pretty sure Gunze Sangyo, Tamiya (X-13?) and Xtracolour do it, colour designation is N.18 Red Orange.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Dork the kit slayer

Nick Millman offered a very good picture essay pdf file all about the colours used. Not too expensive either.  http://www.aviationofjapan.com/

If you cant download one Ill give it a squint  later and see if I can fully answer your enquiry. From what I remember the Tamiya colour needed just a little more orange.

edited to correct Tamiya code.
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

MichelC

Thank you all for the replies.

Green Dragon and Dork, I'm not sure what you mean with x-13. Tamiya X-13 is blue!  :o

Dork, I sent an email requesting a copy of the PDF file. I'm not sure how long it'll take till I hear back.

M

Dizzyfugu

"N.18" was the official color name. The tone is rumored to be FS31400. Gunze has the authentic tone (H24 Orange Yellow), and Testor's/ModelMaster's "Grabber Orange" (actually a Ford car paint from the 1970ies!) is supposed to be a very good approximation, too.
As a side note, towards the end of WWII it was not used anymore -prototypes tended to be painted in standard camouflage (green and grey).

MichelC

Thanks Dizzyfugu! I just bought some Gunze H24 today so I was rather pleased when I saw your reply. I also bought some Gunze Red and Yellow to play around with. Another modeler used 95% Yellow and 5% Red and the result looked awesome!

And FYI, as the war continued into 1946 the yellow/orange was reinstated for all prototypes!  ;D

M

zenrat

Any truth in the rumour that as the war progressed into the 1980's they continued painting them orange but added a large 01 on the side and a confederate flag on top of the canopy?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

MichelC

Quote from: zenrat on February 23, 2016, 11:59:00 PM
Any truth in the rumour that as the war progressed into the 1980's they continued painting them orange but added a large 01 on the side and a confederate flag on top of the canopy?
Dunno. Doesn't say anything about it in the Man In The High Castle.

M

Dizzyfugu

AFAIK, Japan is still at war with Russia... there's never been an official peace agreement.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Until recently, Berwick on Tweed had (allegedly) been  at war with Russia since the Crimea.  A few years ago, the mayor of Berwick and Russian consul from Edinburgh signed a (supposed) armistice.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

OK, so that's everyone EXCEPT Berwick-on-Tweed.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 24, 2016, 06:57:05 AM
AFAIK, Japan is still at war with Russia... there's never been an official peace agreement.

I have a feeling that Andora is still at war with Imperial Germany having never signed the Treaty of Versailles ? One of the tiny European nations that had declared war was absent from Versailles and never signed, although they might have signed in the last few years.

Mind you bearing in mind there were 4 ? other Treaties (Austria, Hungary, Bulgaria and Turkey ?) you might find a few people are still at war with a few others  :blink:

I'm digging this out from my "O" Level history memory banks which have been stored for some 38 years so please forgive me if I'm in error  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.