All white B-52 and B-58

Started by famvburg, February 24, 2016, 08:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famvburg

Just a thought. All 3 of England's V-bomber types were painted all white at one time. The B-1 and XB-70 were too. In modern times, even the Tu-160 is all white. I realize some B-52s had white bellies but I got to wondering why B-52s never went all white. Can you imagine?! Had the B-58 remained in service, do you suppose it would have gone all white? Maybe in contrast to the oft rumored SEA camo scheme.

McColm

The only B-52 painted white was flown by NASA. Interesting question.

Dizzyfugu

Painting an aircraft is costly and adds weight. The white paint was intended to reflect the nuclear flash, and that would have exclusively come from below for the early B-52s. So there was no point in adding more paint from above.

famvburg

Would it not be exclusively from below for the XB-70 and B-1A as well? And the V-Bombers too?

famvburg

Come to think of it, the B-58 never even received a white underside did it?

sandiego89

Quote from: famvburg on February 25, 2016, 08:39:20 AM
Come to think of it, the B-58 never even received a white underside did it?

No they did not.  I imagine white overall would have been maintainence intensive on the B-58, and perhaps the MACH 2+, high altitude, pod drop profile negated the need for anti-flash?  (she would well outrun the high temp of the blast).   Of the heavies, the B-36 perhaps needed anti-flash undersides the most as she was pretty slow (but high) and was flinging big megaton stores.  Many nuclear drop and effects test  B-36's, B-52's, B-50's and the Valiants suffered some thermal and pressure damage.  Some quite heavy with oil canning/dents and thermal stress.   

White is a heavy color.  It could add many hundreds of pounds to a large aircraft.  Even a few hundred pounds can make a surprising reduction in max altutude.     

I wonder if the XB-70 was white more due to heat dissapation properties at high altitudes (like the Concorde) rahter than for it's anti-flash purposes?       
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

I thought black dissipated heat better than white. At least in my physics class.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

sandiego89

Sorry perhaps heat reflecting?.  I believe white is better at reflecting.  I know my white car is much more comfortable on a hot day than a dark one, but I don't mean to, or want to, start a physics debate.  I preferred history ;D 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

I'd forgotten some early Vietnam B-52's had natural metal uppers and black unders until I saw a photo in a mag the other day
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.