B-52/Victor & B-52/Victor/P6M

Started by KJ_Lesnick, March 06, 2016, 08:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

I was thinking of two ideas which could definitely be made into models

B-52/Victor Hybrid

• The B-52 had the best range and a bomb-bay that if I recall was 54 feet in length and provision for 43,000 pounds of bombs in it; later models could also carry 17,000 or so under the wings; the jamming equipment was very good from the outset and was outright incredible by the B-52D Rambler
  • The Victor had the best range of the V-bombers, it was faster than the B-52 at seemingly all altitudes, with supersonic performance in a dive; it was also more nimble, and had a more straight-forward landing-gear arrangement.
I was assuming that for the B-52's range, the Victor style wing would need a higher aspect-ratio and eight-engines would be needed.  I was thinking of having either 3-engines in the roots, and one under the wing, or two in the roots and two under the wing in double-pod.  I'm curious of the lower forward fuselage is shaped as is for area-rule?

B-52/Victor/P6M Mix

• The B-52 had the best range of the mix
  • The P6M was a seaplane and provided the most versatility
  • The Victor looks like a seaplane a little bit and looks like it'd go
I figure the idea would be to have eight engines like the B-52, the wings as close to the Victor as possible with the lower fuselage combining the best features of the P6M and Victor, and the upper fuselage as much like the Victor as possible.  What do you guys think?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

McColm

The Victor has a rounded fuselage where as the B-52 and the SeaMaster has a rectangular fuselage.
I had an idea of an amphibious B-52 using the engines from a SeaMaster mounted above the wing and using thin strips of plastic card to shape the lower fuselage of the B-52 into a V-hull keeping the landing gear. Possible T-tail. .
Not too sure on what scale you are going to use as the B-52 in 1/72 is a very large kit when assembled.

sandiego89

Oh, an excuse to post my SeaVictor....sorry for the vanity....could not resist.  This is a mix of the Victor and SeaMaster features, with the upper fueslage being very much Victor....

Hull under construction, a SeaMaster type hull being grafted on.

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kitnut617

I have a 2-volume book set on the Victor and there's some drawings of the max load a Victor could carry in it  --- 55,000 lbs

Below is a copy of the drawing which I found quite easily on the internet --

http://s37.photobucket.com/user/GTwiner/media/CAC23/22e8d3d5.jpg.html

It doesn't need mating to a B-52 -----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

KJ_Lesnick

McColm

QuoteThe Victor has a rounded fuselage where as the B-52 and the SeaMaster has a rectangular fuselage.
That's a good point... do you have any cross-sectional images?
QuoteI had an idea of an amphibious B-52 using the engines from a SeaMaster mounted above the wing and using thin strips of plastic card to shape the lower fuselage of the B-52 into a V-hull keeping the landing gear. Possible T-tail.
Sounds interesting, I personally prefer V-tails or a cruciform due to the deep-stall issue.
QuoteNot too sure on what scale you are going to use as the B-52 in 1/72 is a very large kit when assembled.
I was proposing ideas really more than actually building.

Sandiego89

QuoteOh, an excuse to post my SeaVictor....sorry for the vanity....could not resist.  This is a mix of the Victor and SeaMaster features, with the upper fueslage being very much Victor....

I love it
That's kind of creative the manner in which you grafted a boat-hull to the bottom of it.
Quote[IG]http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa360/sandiego89/sv20.jpg[/IMG]
Awful deep-hull: I wouldn't have thought it would have had to have been...
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

sandiego89

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on March 06, 2016, 08:03:58 PM
The B-52 had the best range and a bomb-bay that if I recall was 54 feet in length and provision for 43,000 pounds of bombs in it; later models could also carry 17,000 or so under the wings;

The B-52 bomb bay is actually @28 feet in length.  Despite the name, the "big belly" modification to the D models did not change the physical size of the bomb bay.  

As for my Sea Victor, thanks, the hull needed to be deep enough to keep the engines a realistic distance off the water. My WHIF idea added spray diverters that deployed underneath/in-front of the intakes (not seen in the photos above) and the blow in doors on top.  
Dave "Sandiego89"

kitnut617

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on March 07, 2016, 07:00:01 AM

QuoteThe Victor has a rounded fuselage where as the B-52 and the SeaMaster has a rectangular fuselage.
That's a good point... do you have any cross-sectional images?

You obviously didn't look at the link I posted

kitnut617

The Victor is about twice as small as a B-52, here's my 1/72 B-52 mounted on a base board for house move packing which is 32" x 32"

1/72 Victor and a 1/72 E-4 mounted on same size board

McColm

I'll be using some of these techniques on my B-58 with Tu-128 rear mounted engines kitbashed with the SeaMaster in 1/72 scale. Similar to what the guys did in the design offices of Convair San Diego during the1950s.

KJ_Lesnick

kitnut617

Okay, I think we got a communications gulf: I saw the bomb-bay of the Victor.  I was curious about the P6M or B-52

sandiego89

P6M rotating bomb bay door was 27 feet 6 inches long and 9 feet, 3 inches wide.

A few shots from the excellent Martin P6M SeaMaster book by Piet/Raithel.  Very highest recommendation. 

The P6M hull was quite a complex shape, but definitely more of an oval with some flatfish sides.  B-52 is an oval.

Dave "Sandiego89"

kitnut617

B-52  ---- again easily found on the internet ----

kitnut617

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 07, 2016, 03:39:26 PM

Interestingly, the rack is very similar to what is used in all the V-Bombers

NARSES2

Diagram of the bomb bay arrangements is really interesting, gave me an insight I never had before, nor thought about for that matter. Thanks for posting Sandie  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Interesting picture. Looking at the release order for the bombs makes me wonder what or where numbers two and eight are?  :unsure:

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 07, 2016, 03:39:26 PM

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....