B-52/Victor & B-52/Victor/P6M

Started by KJ_Lesnick, March 06, 2016, 08:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: Gondor on March 08, 2016, 01:56:33 AM
Interesting picture. Looking at the release order for the bombs makes me wonder what or where numbers two and eight are?  :unsure:
Gondor

The lower rack only has seven bombs to it so eight and nine are redundant.

I've read somewhere that A&AEE (I think) came up with a 'ten-bomb' rack for the V-Bombers. Can't find where I read that again nor can I figure out how it was orientated  --- 
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Gondor

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 08, 2016, 03:36:55 AM
Quote from: Gondor on March 08, 2016, 01:56:33 AM
Interesting picture. Looking at the release order for the bombs makes me wonder what or where numbers two and eight are?  :unsure:
Gondor

The lower rack only has seven bombs to it so eight and nine are redundant.

I've read somewhere that A&AEE (I think) came up with a 'ten-bomb' rack for the V-Bombers. Can't find where I read that again nor can I figure out how it was orientated  --- 

I did realise that prior to posting my comment. Perhaps its was the person who made the drawing that could not count?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

sandiego89

That is curious with no #2 and #8 on the 7 bomb rack.  I will review the book when I get back home from work.  Perhaps for programming the release switiches they were omitted or redundant as kitnut says? so for example 6 is always port outer, 9 is always left of centerline,  7 always right of centerline....

Guess we need a bomb loadie....   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

McColm

I need a copy of that book, thanks for the info.

sandiego89

Quote from: McColm on March 08, 2016, 11:49:13 AM

It really is an excellent book I find myslef thumbing through often- it is THE SeaMaster reference.  A must for anyone with the SeaMaster bug and even anyone interested in sea planes/aviation in general.  I don't push many books, but this one is really well done and worth it.....

Martin P6M SeaMaster
Piet, Stan; Raithel, Al
Publisher: Martineer Press, 2001
ISBN 10: 0970066201⁄ ISBN 13: 9780970066206

-Dave

Dave "Sandiego89"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 08, 2016, 12:41:03 PM
Quote from: McColm on March 08, 2016, 11:49:13 AM

It really is an excellent book I find myslef thumbing through often- it is THE SeaMaster reference.  A must for anyone with the SeaMaster bug and even anyone interested in sea planes/aviation in general.  I don't push many books, but this one is really well done and worth it.....

Martin P6M SeaMaster
Piet, Stan; Raithel, Al
Publisher: Martineer Press, 2001
ISBN 10: 0970066201⁄ ISBN 13: 9780970066206

-Dave

What Dave said, it's BRILL, and I find myself doing exactly the same as him, there's always something new to read in there.

SUCH a shame the whole thing came to nothing.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Great stuff. Love the Sea Victor. And Robert, is that AWACs in Hemp ? There is also a set of Victor bomb bay/ pod pics in the Victor thread on this site.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KJ_Lesnick

sandiego89

QuoteThe B-52 bomb bay is actually @28 feet in length.
Oh, I apologize for the error.  I based the figure on a drawing which evidently wasn't to scale :o
QuoteDespite the name, the "big belly" modification to the D models did not change the physical size of the bomb bay.
I do know this, I'm surprised they didn't fit that payload in to begin with.  They could have possibly carried a Cloudmaker in there (27'4" length, 43,600 lbs)
QuoteAs for my Sea Victor, thanks, the hull needed to be deep enough to keep the engines a realistic distance off the water.
That's a good point... I'm curious if you adjusted the length at all?
QuoteMy WHIF idea added spray diverters that deployed underneath/in-front of the intakes (not seen in the photos above) and the blow in doors on top.
That's cool!
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

sandiego89

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on March 08, 2016, 05:00:02 PM

That's a good point... I'm curious if you adjusted the length at all?

No Kendra, my Sea Victor fuselage is the same length as a standard Victor.  The kit is the very ancient 1/96 Lindbergh mold of an early Victor. 

-Dave

I carried the boat hull to the aft of the fuselage.  You can just make out where I molded in a triangular air brake/sea rudder into the aft end of the hull. 
Dave "Sandiego89"

KJ_Lesnick

I just thought of something: Could you take a shot of it from the exact side, top, bottom, and front?  I could use it for a scaling estimate
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

sandiego89

OK I took her out of storage, a bit beat up I'm afraid.  Remember this is the odd 1/96 scale- or at least the box says so...... 

Hope these help you - Dave

Note the ruler

the slide up spray diverter....
Dave "Sandiego89"

McColm

I'm not too sure if that would work in 1/72 scale as I"ve got an old Matchbox Victor which has the Cammett Nimrod AEW 3 resin conversion nose and rear radomes  ( piccy on my blog page ). Canopy changed and EMS pods on wingtips. I do have a Hasegawa Shineiwa PS-1/SS-2 in the stash so the lower part of the hull might be persuaded to fit.

jcf

In reference to the bomb sequencing in the P6M drawing it may be as simple as the USN wanting
the bomb station number and release sequence number to be the same.

This B-17F loading diagram shows how complex the numbering could get in WWII:

This is a fairly simple diagram, other ones are more complex.  :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

Great new pics. Love the underside !

The bomb release sequence info is pretty interesting as well !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?