Ground Attack English Electric (BAC) Lightning

Started by Knightflyer, March 19, 2016, 01:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knightflyer

OKay, we're starting to get a little exotic here, the Mistel version has been proposed, next up with be the zwilling version  ;) ;D

Does anybody out there have the figures for the a sensible (reasonable? / maximum?) low-level speed for the Lightning

The scenario I'm NOT thinking of is ... point aircraft at East Germany, light 'burners and GOOOOoooooooo........ , which would result in another exotic ...the one-way Kamikaze Lightning (and yes I know Kamimaze missions are by definition one-way only, but with the fuel state of high-speed, low level Lightning the pilot wouldn't have much choice!)  :o
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Dizzyfugu

AFAIK the Lightning was supposed to achieve almost 1.300 km/h indicated air speed at "lower altitudes", probably in clean configuration.

Knightflyer

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 23, 2016, 03:52:18 AM
AFAIK the Lightning was supposed to achieve almost 1.300 km/h indicated air speed at "lower altitudes", probably in clean configuration.

It was a bit 'nippy' then ?! , to use a technical term  ;)

I can definitely see it as a "get in there (very) quick" (unfortunately) short range interdictor hitting the leading columns of the Warsaw Pact Armies
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Snowtrooper

Lightning was used especially for low-level interception by RAFG so presumably she was faster than most other planes down at the deck.

Just as well, since staying at treetop height would have been mandatory for a Strike Lightning unless somebody suddenly managed to fit her with RWR, ECM, countermeasure dispensers, etc. which Lightnings lacked until the very end. Going in on the Central Front at medium altitudes without any countermeasures would have been an authentic kamikaze mission in that the plane most likely never reaches its intended target...

Captain Canada

Love it. I could probably think of 50 ideas on how I'd like to build a Lightning. Ground attack is defo one of them ! Even if you could only do moderate speeds with a load, you could turn around and get back at 'er in a hurry !

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

The Saudi's used the Lightning to good effect in ground attack in Yemen, although I can't find much detail in my references that says any more than that.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.