Data Not Found on WWII Aircraft Performance

Started by KJ_Lesnick, March 19, 2016, 09:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

I was thinking about the subject of performance data on WWII aircraft designs which involved

• Turning circles and radii with speed
    • Time to make a 360 degree circle at speeds, or at least optimum speed
    • Maximum airspeed and mach number in dive with/without position error
While some of this is included on sites like WWII Aircraft Performance, such as the following...

• The turn rate of the P-51 vs the Me-109 with speed
  • The Spitfire's dive-speeds
There are many aircraft which are not entirely mentioned such as

• The P-38: The mach number at which (presumably) significant control problems appear is around Mach 0.67 indicated mach with control lost at 0.74 indicated.  The effect of dive-speed with dive-flaps was never mentioned far as I know
  • The F4U: Dive mach is listed as around Mach 0.73.  I'm not sure if this is the speed at which control is lost, or when it begins to become a problem
  • The P-47: I've heard figures ranging from 0.67 to 0.72 as speeds when control problems start.  I don't know when control effectiveness is totally lost, nor do I know what effect dive-flaps had on the speed
  • Furthermore: Indicated mach-number isn't necessarily actual mach-number due to the fact that mach indicators in those days were inadequately calibrated.
I know these are elaborately detailed questions, but there are members here such as wuzak, elmayerle, tomo pauk, and rickshaw who often do have a considerable body of knowledge.[/list]
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

tomo pauk

The max allowable dive speed is always mentioned in pilot's notes/manuals. The said documents can be downloaded for free, and, IMO, are a wealth of knowledge for any ww2 aircraft enthusiast.