60 Sqn Lightning F6 VGA

Started by Gondor, March 31, 2016, 02:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: Gondor on April 06, 2016, 03:57:12 AM
Quote from: Weaver on April 05, 2016, 03:59:59 PM
Quote from: Gondor on April 04, 2016, 07:43:24 AM
Should I paint that a different colour as with the Tornado or just go for the basic metallic finish I am doing the rest of the fuselage and wing?

Gondor

I'd say stick with the same metallic finish as the rest of it. The different finish on most swing-wing types seems to be natural metal anyway, as if they only paint them with the wings swept back.

I was actually referring to the area that moves into the inner wing fillet, not the whole outer wing. The part that is normally grey on the Tornado's wing near the fuselage.

Gondor

Painting it a different colour would emphasise the swing wing nature of the build.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

Quote from: zenrat on April 07, 2016, 04:39:59 AM
Should I paint that a different colour as with the Tornado or just go for the basic metallic finish I am doing the rest of the fuselage and wing?

Gondor

I'd say stick with the same metallic finish as the rest of it. The different finish on most swing-wing types seems to be natural metal anyway, as if they only paint them with the wings swept back.

Thinking about it I may just do the area I am concerned about in a different shade or natural metal, but that will probably be either this weekend or next week when that happens. Plenty of time for me to change my mind yet  ;D

Gondor

I was actually referring to the area that moves into the inner wing fillet, not the whole outer wing. The part that is normally grey on the Tornado's wing near the fuselage.

Gondor

Painting it a different colour would emphasise the swing wing nature of the build.

Now thinking that the area that is being talked about should simply be a different colour of natural metal.

Gondor

P.S. This is the second attempt at posting that bit, no idea why though  :-\
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

Gondor

Gondor

Yep - that's exactly what I meant.  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Gondor

Wings are on and filler applied to the gaps which are mostly my fault. Hope to add over all primer tomorrow.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

Not made much progress with this unfortunately :(

Gondor

Gondor

Finally made a little progress with this build, little being the operative word as what I have been doing is rather small.

I hope that when I finish adding a few more straps to the seat and another couple of extra bits, that it will look better than what Airfix gave me to start with. Kind of unsure about the way the belts look on the seat cushion at the moment but its not exactly easy to work with in this scale.

Once I get the seat done it will go into the cockpit and I can get on with painting the canopy and spine in black  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Scotaidh

It's weird - I like it!  :)  Good work so far - I'll be interested to see how you finish it.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Gondor

Still working on the bang seat but nearly there  ;D

I've come to realize that I am not as happy as I could be about the Airfix set. Perhaps I may scratch build one for Telford 2018 in the miscellaneous class?

This one however should only take one more build stint for the buckles etc then touching up the paint so I should get the seat inside the pit by the end of the month at my build rate  :thumbsup:

Gondor

tamatea

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Gondor

The seat is finally finished, or at least the next thing I am doing with it is glueing it into the cockpit !!

So I thought after all the work I put into it I may as well show off a few pictures of it and its chums

First up, the three amigo's

On the left the Sword seat from the Lightening T5 unpainted and without the PE straps. In the middle the finished seat and on the right what Airfix give you in the kit. Touches of We Can't Dance by Genesis....

The two Airfix seats together

You can catch a glimpse of the method I used to finish off the firing handles for the seat using Humbrol 99 and then a felt pen to provide thin black lines.

I'm quite pleased with the results even if I say so myself, and yes, they are all 1/72 scale.

Gondor

NARSES2

Nice work mate. I really do need to try and find some thin felt tips. None that I have are really thin enough
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

I just realised that I should upload a couple of pictures of the real thing as a comparison. So here are two pictures I downloaded from the web.

Along with a couple of the above pictures again for comparison

It's not the best and I am sure I can do better next time but it will do for this build.

Gondor

NARSES2

I'm always amazed as to how many belts modern aircraft seats have, especially when compared to B.B.S. (Before Bang Seats) I suppose part of it is because B.B.S. half the belts were worn by the pilot in order to wear his chute ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

He still wears that many for his chute now, but both him and the chute need to be firmly attached to the seat when it fires, or bits of him may get left behind!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit