ASLAV 1A2 - Done! (w/pic's)

Started by Old Wombat, April 02, 2016, 04:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

I've started on my 3D interpretation of a blend of these 2D images created by apophenia in Profiles and Pixels over on BtS.

* aslav-4x4-recce-stealth.jpg (46.7 kB, 685x379 - viewed 37 times.)

* aslav-4x4-recce-sabre.jpg (82.26 kB, 779x410 - viewed 30 times.)

I have done quite well over the last few nights getting it this far (the last 2 have mostly been PSR).

One point to note: the Marder turret has a slightly largerturret ring diameter than the ASLAV (& the fitment is totally different between the 2 kits being used).

One thing I'm struggling with is whether to stay with the 20mm Rheinmetal cannon or up-gun to the 25mm Bushmaster?

Here are a few shots of how she's going;

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

If this is going to be Aussie then Bushmaster wins simply because the name is more appropriate.
Good work so far.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Vorcha

Wow, this looks absolutely awesome! :o  :thumbsup:
...Considering the armament, upgunning would definately make sense, especially with all those appliqué armor around for IFV's nowadays... it might be a bit exaggerated, but I'm thinking of a Bofors 40mm right now...  :blink: ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wewaCdSW4yc
<_<
paper boy

kerick

Bushmaster for commonality with the ASLAV.
I'll be watching this one!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

Nice ! The first two pics are x's for me but the other ones work. Great stuff so far, and I vote that either cannon would look good !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Old Wombat

Thanks, guys! :bow:

Build has slowed a little bit but I intend to get stuck into it tonight & I hope to have it ready for paint by Tuesday (my RDO & when I intend to put 1st paint on the HMBLT).

kerick

How much ASLAV did you cut away?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Quote from: kerick on April 03, 2016, 08:19:06 AM
How much ASLAV did you cut away?

About a quarter. Unfortunately I don't have another to show in comparison.

OK, Build going a bit slower than I'd like, may have to delay painting until Wednesday.

Here she is as of now.

As you can see, I've gone for the 25mm Bushmaster & have, therefore, modified the gun housing to indicate the larger weapon.

I've put a spent-casing chute ejecting from the rear of the housing, so the spent casings don't eject over the commander's hatch, but I'm not really sure about its practicality. Would the casings clog up & jam the mechanism? Would I be better off with a port at the bottom of the housing?

Apart from the bits still to glue on I, also, have to cut out a circle in the right side for the spare wheel. I'll be gluing the wheels on with white glue (or similar) until I can get a decent set of resin LAV wheels which include a spare.

Thanks for watching & all of your input!

Guy. :cheers:

Old Wombat

Next instalment;

As of last night, as you can see, I'm nowhere near where I wanted to be but maybe by the end of next week .......  :-\

Old Wombat

Hi All, back again! ;D

Except for some small bits & pieces to be added after painting she's done! :party:

Tools, mesh screens, lights, commander figure (when I find one), etc., to follow.

As you can see, I had a brain-fart & decided to modify the commander's cupola to something a little more modern. Not perfect, by any means, but I like it.

Now, all I need to find is a FGM-148 Javelin ATGM in 1/35th to fit on the side of the turret as a modern replacement for the Milan.
(Fire-&-forget being more suited to Sabre recce than holding the target in your sights before high-tailing it out of the heat!)

NARSES2

Paint certainly brings it all together very nicely  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

That is brilliant I do like this kind of armour, and your creations are excellent. I will be watching this now. :thumbsup:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Vorcha

Oh my God, this is awesome! Wow.  :o  :smiley:  :wub:
paper boy

Old Wombat

Thanks, gents! :bow:

Paint should happen on Thursday, with completion of Friday (I hope), along with the HMBLT.

Actually, this is my favourite part of the process; when the primer coat has tied everything together & before I screw up the final paint scheme. :blink:

Scooterman

I was thinking of doing this (and I might still) but it won't look anywhere as nice as yours, dude!

It's got a real modern V100 Commando/LAV150 look to it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: