HS Folland Gnat FGR2

Started by andrewj, April 02, 2016, 09:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewj

Following the cost over-runs of many current aviation projects and the apparent success of the Folland Gnat F1 in Indian and Finnish Service, the Royal Air Force decided that perhaps there was room for a lightweight fighter in the inventory.
Approaches were made to the Folland division of Hawker Siddeley , who proposed a fighter version of the Gnat trainer, then entering service with the RAF. This they argued would give a large degree of commonality and the slightly larger airframe would allow for a greater range of weaponry than the F1.
The resulting aircraft know as the Gnat FGR2 entered service with several squadrons and proved very successful ,as a very agile fighter , but also because its unit cost proved much lower than other jets.
The aircraft shown served with 41 Sqd RAF and carries the photo-reconnaisance nose , along with rocket pods and a 30mm cannon pod similar to those carried by the Harrier.

The model is from the 1/72 Airfix Gnat, which I picked up in a discount store at a knock down price , change of scale for me , as I usually work in 1/48 , but at the price it seemed rude not to do it.

Andrew

chrisonord

Very nice clean build, I have pondered a use for the Gnat myself.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

Ohh, I like that ! Love the colours and the nose. Great idea.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

That works  :thumbsup: The bottom 3/4 rear view has a slight "Hunterish" air about it ?  :blink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

That is the very best trainer to single seater job that I have seen.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

TallEng

Quote from: andrewj on April 02, 2016, 09:03:45 AM
Following the cost over-runs of many current aviation projects and the apparent success of the Folland Gnat F1 in Indian and Finnish Service, the Royal Air Force decided that perhaps there was room for a lightweight fighter in the inventory.
Approaches were made to the Folland division of Hawker Siddeley , who proposed a fighter version of the Gnat trainer, then entering service with the RAF. This they argued would give a large degree of commonality and the slightly larger airframe would allow for a greater range of weaponry than the F1.
The resulting aircraft know as the Gnat FGR2 entered service with several squadrons and proved very successful ,as a very agile fighter , but also because its unit cost proved much lower than other jets.
The aircraft shown served with 41 Sqd RAF and carries the photo-reconnaisance nose , along with rocket pods and a 30mm cannon pod similar to those carried by the Harrier.

Andrew
Going from the 'Chicken' on the fin and the black and white checks I assume you meant 43Sqn.
Nice job :thumbsup:
would also fit in here; the Gnat theme build: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,35214.0.html
Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Devilfish

I'm liking that.  I have built an Aggressor Gnat, but I want to redo it as I'm not happy with it.

andrewj

Thanks everyone for the positive comments , Talleng , you are indeed correct , should be 43 Sqd , the " chicken " on the fin being the giveaway, must have been a minor brain freeze when typing.

Andrew

Dizzyfugu

Very nice. The new nose looks very good.  :thumbsup:

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

SPINNERS

Yep, ticks a lot of boxes for me. Well done.

Nick

I like that!  :thumbsup:    How did you do the nose?