DONE +++ SEPECAT Cheetah GR.2, 2 Sq. RAF Germany (Laarbruch), late Eighties

Started by Dizzyfugu, April 02, 2016, 10:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Final touches to the hull, e. g. pitots made from thin wire and some air scoops which the Heller kit lacks.

SEPECAT Cheetah GR.2 (Kitbashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

An now, things become GREEEEEEN!

Basic colors are Humbrol 102 and 120:

Gondor

What are the black marks on the nose either side of the laser range finder?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

RAFF-35

Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Gondor on April 06, 2016, 10:13:09 AM

Gondor

Do you mean the windows on the LRF (from an Italeri Tornado, used before under a Buccaneer... :rolleyes:) or the wire pitots behind that, flanking the front wheel well?

BTW, painting made more progress, with upper side now all-green, too, and a black radome. Before, the Cheetah in my incarnation (see Devilfish's build, too) reminded me somewhat of a Su-24, but NOW it looks weird, looking like a single-seat half scale Tornado, or an F-111! Pics to come soon, hopefully this evening. The simple livery suits the aircraft well, nevertheless, looks very modern with it.

Gondor

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 06, 2016, 11:44:55 PM
Quote from: Gondor on April 06, 2016, 10:13:09 AM

Gondor

Do you mean the windows on the LRF (from an Italeri Tornado, used before under a Buccaneer... :rolleyes:) or the wire pitots behind that, flanking the front wheel well?

BTW, painting made more progress, with upper side now all-green, too, and a black radome. Before, the Cheetah in my incarnation (see Devilfish's build, too) reminded me somewhat of a Su-24, but NOW it looks weird, looking like a single-seat half scale Tornado, or an F-111! Pics to come soon, hopefully this evening. The simple livery suits the aircraft well, nevertheless, looks very modern with it.

Pitots, that's what they are. I could not make out what they were but now you tell me I can see that's what they are indeed. Thanks for clearing that up

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

They are tiny, but such small things add to the overall impression, just like the air scoops.  ;)

zenrat

I leave things like pitots and the undercarriage until after i've painted or I knock them off.
You are obviously more carefull.

Looks good.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

No. I glue them into place, but on the way some frequently get lost or loose...  ;)

DogfighterZen

Wow... colors really brought it to life... Love the nose, very nice indeed! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kerick

This will really make some folks scratch there heads!
Nice work!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

This thing looks sexy, and that all-green livery should also work well on other RAF aircraft - e. g. the Hawk or even a Tornado. A Shorts Tucano in this style should also look good? Wonder why this scheme was only limited to the Harrier GR.5 and later?

So far only little more visible progress. Painted the wings' leading edges in dark green and other details, now a black ink wash will follow and some panel shading.

I also evaluate different ordnance loads, but so far I think the Cheetah here will receive a pair of Sidewinders and four BL 755 CBUs on tandem racks under the wing stubs, OOB from the Heller kit. Fuselage either left clear or a drop tank. An alternative could be a recce pod under the fuselage and drop tanks under the wings, but I prefer the bombs, even though they will end up "green on green".

nighthunter

I Frakking love it!

Might use this green on green concept for my Battletech VTOLs
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Dizzyfugu

Dizzyfugu

By the way, in this context...

The Cold War Jets Collection at Bruntingthorpe includes this eye-catching Jaguar parked near the main gate.