DONE +++ SEPECAT Cheetah GR.2, 2 Sq. RAF Germany (Laarbruch), late Eighties

Started by Dizzyfugu, April 02, 2016, 10:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

A short notice submission, triggered by Devilfish's currebnt wonderful SEPECAT Cheetah build - a VG Jaguar with Tornado wings (check this here: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,42013.0.html). I had a similar idea for a while, but with a different wing donor from a MiG-23S, which should be easy to integrate into the Jaguar fuselage because both aircraft have very similar dimensions and layouts.

I found out that the plan for this conversion must have been on the list for while because I found four(!) Heller Jaguars in the stash, each actually bought for this conversion... Well, enough fodder for a maritime version, though. I also had already an Academy MiG-23S stashed away, so here we go.

Progress is fast, since the plan is pretty straightforward. First, the donor parts had to be resected and the Jaguar fuselage prepared accordingly. I tried to transplant the whole dorsal MiG-23 wing mechanism, and that seems to work:

SEPECAT Cheetah (Kitbashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

And dry-fitting thsi afternoon revealed a positive result, even though some body work under the wing gloves and at the rear end of the VG mechanism will have to be done. But it's less trouble than expected, and the wings even remain moveable.

There's also already an idea for the operator: RAF Germany, in the late 80ies.

Stay tuned...  :tornado:

DogfighterZen

This is gonna be a great partner for the land-based Cheetah.  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

No, for Devilfish's marine version. This one here will be land-based (and slightly different).

By the way, more progress; in order to make sure the wing mechanism with its sprocket wheels stays in place I added a sheet of styrene for stability:

Transplantation successful! The MiG-23 wing section fits very well on- and into the Jaguar fuselage. Biggest trouble zone is the rear intersection, and the gaps under the wing roots (which come from enthusiastic use of the mini saw, though. Learning by doing...).

Even the intersection to the air intake trunks works fine - my initial idea/plan seems to work out. :D

Very cool and effective combo so far!  :ph34r:

nighthunter

Awesome work, thus far Thomas!
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Captain Canada

Wow ! Is that ever great work so far !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 03, 2016, 08:47:25 AM
No, for Devilfish's marine version. This one here will be land-based (and slightly different).

:unsure: Somehow i mixed it all up and didn't check back before posting, sorry, my mistake... :rolleyes: :banghead:  Anyway, they're both great ideas! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Devilfish

Very cool.  It's amazing how two people can go at the same thing from completely different angles.  I chose Tornado parts for 2 reasons.

1) I had the parts
2) Financial reasons on the full size aircraft.  Cheaper to use an existing wing/hinge assembly, than design a new one from scratch.

Dizzyfugu

Actually, my MiG-23 donation comes from the plan to mate the wings with a Mirage F.1C (somebody already did that, and it looks awesome). Anyway, I then thought about a Jaguar livery whif and then found that the F.1, MiG-23 and Jaguar are in a very similar class, so that this different transplantation idea should work, too. And that guess proves to be right so far.  ;)

I like your Tornado version very much, and it looks more "British" than mine. Through the MiG-23 parts there's IMHO a very distinctive Soviet touch to it, even though the profile reminds much of a low budget Tornado? I also gave mine a different nose (from an F-18), and I guess that the stabilizers will be trimmed.

Devilfish

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 04, 2016, 03:39:51 AM

I like your Tornado version very much, and it looks more "British" than mine. Through the MiG-23 parts there's IMHO a very distinctive Soviet touch to it, even though the profile reminds much of a low budget Tornado? I also gave mine a different nose (from an F-18), and I guess that the stabilizers will be trimmed.

I guess the "soviet" look is because of the dogtooth on the wing leading edge?

The nose from mine is also very British....Sea Harrier Blue Fox.

Dizzyfugu

I think it's the general, very distinctive wing shape. And, from above. the Jaguar's fuselage's outline is very similar to the MiG-23/27, from that perspective you could add some Red Stars and sell it as a twin-engine MiG-27 derivative (also a nice idea... :rolleyes:). The narrow tail looks funny, though, I am curious how mine will look with the canopy fitted and the landing gear.

Gondor

How about trying to make a single engined Jaguar using the rear fuselage of the MiG 23?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

That's an idea that actually came to my mind while working on the Cheetah, too.

Besides, progress from the bench. Tail surfaces added - but this still remindas a lot of a MiG-23/27?

SEPECAT Cheetah GR.2 (Kitbashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Where to put ordnance? Some 35 year old wing root pylons from a Matchbox F-14 are a convenient solution and keep the wings free. More hardpoints will follow.

Since the wing surfaces looked SO Soviet and MiG-23-ish I clipped the stabilizers. Looks definitively better and more unique now.

kerick

The notches in the leading edge of the MiG wings are a dead give away but it still looks cool to me. Looking forward to seeing more of both versions.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise