Main Menu

HOVERCYCLE

Started by CANSO, April 09, 2016, 09:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

IME the no talent clueless drones are involved in pushing pens and counting beans rather than design.

Way back in the dim mists of the 20th Century when I was a student I shared accomodation with a Civil Engineering undergraduate.  As part of his first year course he had to build a model bridge to span a specified gap (1m from memory) that would carry a given weight using thin card.
He built a suspension bridge using rolled card as cables.  It failed because when he folded the card to build the deck he scored too deeply.  I was jealous because us Mechanical Engineers didn't get to do anything half as creative.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on April 18, 2018, 09:12:06 PM

While I have y'all a bit of a rant: CAD and Digital modelling are not push button,
design and engineering are not done by those tools, they are done with
the tools.

Personally speaking, I find irritating every time someone with zero experience with any of it
dismisses everything they don't personally like as being designed by soulless machines
operated by no talent, clueless drones
, the machines don't design anything

Totally agree with you Jon. It's simply the latest tool that has been added to their tool box and they need to know how to use all of those tools.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

CANSO

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on April 18, 2018, 09:12:06 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Good for him, Industrial Design is a challenging field, showing his skill in physical modelling
was a good choice, many applicants have all digital portfolios and, as I've heard from friends in the
field, they often have trouble with the physical part of the curriculum.
You are absolutely correct here. Being myself an old school architect I suggested more real 3D objects, rather than fancy virtual design. My son presented 3 whif models and 2 real life prototypes in 1:1 (a lamp shade and a portable exhibition board he used for some art shows). The rest included CAD-projects (2D) and several drawings, paintings, art pieces, photography. He has taken Design Technology, Auto Technology and all possible art classes at school and had the chance to work under guidance using some basic materials (wood, metal, clay) there. The "fantastic plastic" is an extracurricular hobby though.
Just for the "protocol" ;), below are the 2 other models submitted:

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jcf

:thumbsup:

I really like that Mormon Meteor and Vanship mashup.

:thumbsup: