Cartel alternative MIG-21.

Started by chrisonord, April 25, 2016, 10:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

This aircraft Ihave given an alternative history to. It started life as a dedicated air superiority fighter in the Soviet airforce, and was an unofficial venture by Micoyan to replace the then limited capability MIG-21 in the early 60's. The aircraft code named Ye8 MIG-21 S ended up being built in limited numbers alongside its ever evolving predecessor, until the newer versions of the MIG-21 were found to be more value for money and in some instances superior. The aircraft was retired and put into storage and into several museums, where, it caught the eye of the buyers for the Nicaraguan Cartel. Five the aircraft was obtained and transported back via Bolivia, and rebuilt with newer avionics and engines. The aircraft have been in service since 1990.

The kit is the Arkmodels one in 1/;72nd scale, and was a pain to build, much like most other kits from that part of the world.
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Weaver

Nicely done!  :thumbsup:

I've got a couple of those in the stash, as well as one of their MiG-23PD kits (that's the prototype with a delta wing and lift jets).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

chrisonord

Quote from: Weaver on April 25, 2016, 02:01:04 PM

I've got a couple of those in the stash, as well as one of their MiG-23PD kits (that's the prototype with a delta wing and lift jets).
I was tempted with one of those Mig-23 PD kits too, but couldn't think of a use for it as it is too unconventional for the Cartel.
Chris

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Army of One

Great finish on the camo mate........love it...... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

chrisonord

Thanks everyone, the paint took several attempts to get right as the airbrush was chucking its toys out of the pram. I am happy with it now though, just wish I could say the same about the Analogue I am building right now, the canopy just won't fit properly. :banghead:
Chris.

Weaver

Quote from: chrisonord on April 25, 2016, 03:16:02 PM

I was tempted with one of those Mig-23 PD kits too, but couldn't think of a use for it as it is too unconventional for the Cartel.
Chris

I was thinking:

1. dump the lift jets
2. fit a tailless delta wing
3. call it a Fairey Delta <whatever> operational derivative of the FD.II
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

chrisonord

Quote from: Weaver on April 26, 2016, 11:54:30 PM
Quote from: chrisonord on April 25, 2016, 03:16:02 PM

Chris

I was thinking:

1. dump the lift jets
2. fit a tailless delta wing
3. call it a Fairey Delta <whatever> operational derivative of the FD.II
Good plan H, looking forward to seeing it when you build it. I currently have a thing for Mig-21's again, just put a base coat on an Analogue, that was a putty monster with a badly fitting canopy, next will be one with E.E Lightning wings on it as they fit pretty well :wacko:
Chris

zenrat

The more 21s the merrier.
I've still got two in the stash.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

chrisonord

Quote from: zenrat on April 27, 2016, 02:27:01 AM
The more 21s the merrier.
I've still got two in the stash.

I have built 7 an have 8 in the stash. Anyone would think I liked them  :rolleyes:
Chris.

Weaver

I've got Airfix and Academy 1/72nd -21s as bits donors plus a pair of 1/144th eduard ones for the same reason. I've also got a rare Eastern-block tandem two-seater version.

- Indiana Jones

chrisonord

Quote from: Weaver on April 27, 2016, 08:17:37 AM
I've got Airfix and Academy 1/72nd -21s as bits donors plus a pair of 1/144th eduard ones for the same reason. I've also got a rare Eastern-block tandem two-seater version.
What make is the Eastern block one H? I forgot to mention I have one of the Tamiya 1/100th scale ones too, which is going to get made into a missile at some stage.
Chris.

Army of One

Harold, which versions are the little mig 21's.....?  I got one of Nick for my thitsty little jets and it is AWESOME.........i love it......i think it's a later one as it has the enlarged/humped spine.......just got to figure out where to put the probe. Not sure about a lightning style one from under a wing or a fixed one scabbed onto the fuselage..........
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

NARSES2

Got one of those Eduard 1/144 Migs. It was the free kit with EDay entry a few years ago
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.