English Electric Thunderbolt F.3

Started by Weaver, April 28, 2016, 03:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Well I wasn't very happy with how the paint came out on this one, so I've been umming and arring about whether to strip it off or touch it up ever since the 1wkGB ended. I've now decided on the latter and done a bit more work on it.

The Grass Green (Hu.80) came out darker than I expected when sprayed from a can, and the touch up from a tin confirms this, so I've had to do whole panels in the touch up to make it look like weathering effects. The real disappointment was the thinned Black Green (Hu.91) which I painted around the edges of some areas as 'shadow' lines, but which came out with a greasy, inconsistent semi-gloss finish that looks awful.

The White Tack masking, which I've heard recommended for years but I've never tried before, seemed to be MORE sticky and difficult to get off than Blu Tack, and I scratched the paint in several places trying to get it off too...

MODS: could someone move this to the general projects 'aircraft' section please? Ta very much.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Sounds as if you (also) got some Humbrol tins from the poor 2014 series that was released together with the new RLM tones. Most of the stuff is total crap - and I am shocked how many tones are actually affected. Had a similar candidate (Humbrol 111) for my Lthuanian MiG-21 build, but was aware and could avoid desaster. But the paint quality is really disappointing.  :-\

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on May 26, 2016, 04:53:21 PM

The White Tack masking, which I've heard recommended for years but I've never tried before, seemed to be MORE sticky and difficult to get off than Blu Tack, and I scratched the paint in several places trying to get it off too...

I had that experience on my Northrop Northampton too, it seems to stick like the very devil. Blue Tack's the only way to go for me from now on, it's tried and tested.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

IME Blu tack is good but gets extra sticky if you leave it in place for too long.
By which I mean weeks rather than hours.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on May 27, 2016, 01:33:53 AM
IME Blu tack is good but gets extra sticky if you leave it in place for too long.
By which I mean weeks rather than hours.

Tell me about it! Mrs_PR19 sticks pictures on the wall with it, and when it comes time to take them down half the wall comes too!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones