Whiffing an F-105?

Started by PR19_Kit, April 30, 2016, 12:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

The Revellogram kit is pretty nice. It has the bottom speed brake hanging down which was typical when parked.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

eatthis

the thud needs tsr2 wings  :wacko:

runs and hides  ;D
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

zenrat

Funny, I was just thinking yesterday the TSR2 needs Thud intakes...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Snowtrooper

- ADC interceptor with bigger radome and Phoenix missiles.
- Straight-winged CAS variant instead of the Hog
- Supersonic car รก la North American Eagle

Dizzyfugu

There was, among the early design phases of Tupolev's "Aircraft 98" a design that resembled the F-105 a LOT - air intakes, single engine, even the wing planform. Parts of it later led to the Tu-22 and Tu-28. Cannot find a pic, but it's a viable conversion plan... :D

IIRC there were also later designs from Republic with twin-engine derivatives of the F-105 - that could be a funny option, too, even though I am note certain how the fuselage shape/diameter loos like with the narrow air intake slits?

As a side note: the 1:72 Monogram kit (also available als RoG re-boxing) is excellent - despite the raised panel lines. Built one many moons ago (RW), and I still have it on home display.

eatthis

Quote from: zenrat on May 02, 2016, 03:47:07 AM

oh that would be an interesting swap

why are the thud intakes the shape they are?

Weaver

Quote from: eatthis on May 02, 2016, 06:21:16 AM
Quote from: zenrat on May 02, 2016, 03:47:07 AM

oh that would be an interesting swap

why are the thud intakes the shape they are?

It's just a different solution to the problem of managing supersonic shockwaves that other types of intake solve by using moveable ramps or cones/half-cones. The forward edge of the Ferri intake generates a shock and the 'variable' feature comes from an internal moveable ramp that's shaped a bit like a sugar scoop.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

I like the twin engined idea, maybe meld the F-105 fuselage with an F-111 and deepen the intakes?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 02, 2016, 08:44:26 AM
I like the twin engined idea, maybe meld the F-105 fuselage with an F-111 and deepen the intakes?

Nooo...Use the Lightning rear fuselage.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on May 02, 2016, 08:51:54 AM

Use them both, then it'll have FOUR engines.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

eatthis

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 02, 2016, 09:29:01 AM

theres no such thing as too much power  :wacko: :wacko:

sideshowbob9

Lightning rear fuselage is fine height wise but a little off in width. Nothing putty can't solve however.

JayBee

It would need "bigger" wings  :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on May 02, 2016, 11:44:49 AM

It would need "bigger" wings  :wacko:

That's a given Jaybee.  :thumbsup:

I have this 1/32 scale DuoDiscus glider kit in the loft..................  ;)

Regards
Kit

Snowtrooper

F-105 Strike Thud -- pitted in the ETF competition against F-15E, F-16XL, and :tornado:. Use F or G as a base, add LANTIRN pods (plenty of RWR & ECM bumps should be there already), get rid of the bay altogether, maybe add CFT's and/or missile troughs and/or tangential weapon pylons, overwing missile rails in Jaguar style, maybe a larger delta wing, scale-o-rama'd either from a F-16XL or from a Viggen for a little more unique flavour? (Main landing gear will be a problem in both cases though and may need relocating/reworking.)

F-105 Comrade Chairman of the Committee for Extreme Weather Conidtions -- let's say during the Vietnam War, an American pilot decided to defect and instead of crashing the plane as per procedure, landed it at Haiphong airport (or a sleeper agent stole the plane, if the former rustles one's jimmies too much). Since an intact copy of the premier US tactical nuclear striker at the time was worth its weight in gold, the Soviet Union called eternal dibs on this and promised VPAF unnnnlimited power MiGs in exchange for the plane. Since overflight over China was not possible and the Americans would certainly try to intercept it if flown over international waters, the plane was hastily disassembled and loaded aboard the Soviet freighter Unstoppable Progress of the Glorious World Revolution in Haiphong, shipped to Vladivostok, and then hauled by rail to Zhukovsky Air Base for evaluation in the Gromov Flight Research Institute. After initial evaluation was complete, it was passed on to the 1521st Center for Combat Employment for training future cadres of Soviet pilots how to intercept it. During its career it was painted in a variety of schemes, both US and Soviet, at times stripped to bare metal. For maximum double-take, load it up with Soviet things under the wings.