Avro 707 in Australia

Started by Old Wombat, May 11, 2016, 05:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Here's a link some of you may like (especially the second bit); https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/F10461/
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

I didn't realise the RAAF shared the RAF's signature tune, the RAF March Past, featured at the start of that vid. Nice bit of vid of the 707 nonetheless.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

The 707A is one of those unique aircraft which was preserved more by accident than design.  In 1967, it was sold to an enthusiast in Melbourne for $1000.  He hoisted it into his backyard where it resided for 30 years before being acquired by the RAAF museum at Point Cook.   It was hoisted out again and put on display.  He's presently engaged in restoring it at the museum.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

IIRC the Oz 707A and the 707C two-seater at Cosford are the only 707 deltas left now, all the others having crashed or been scrapped.

It's good that such a high percentage of them still exist, even if they are 12000 miles apart.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Being ignorant of my nations aeronautical history I was thinking BOEING 707 and was trying to picture one with a delta wing.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

Quote from: zenrat on May 12, 2016, 09:47:33 PM
Being ignorant of my nations aeronautical history I was thinking BOEING 707 and was trying to picture one with a delta wing.

Sounds like an interesting build  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Avro nearly made one, they called it the 'Atlantic'.  ;D

Cue Robert's HUGE model of same...........  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 13, 2016, 02:13:04 AM

Avro nearly made one, they called it the 'Atlantic'.  ;D

Cue Robert's HUGE model of same...........  :thumbsup:

I'll get back to it sometime too, just want to complete the newest project first (Twin Sabre).

Here's a pic of it from my 'wide body avro atlantic' thread

Incidently, in the story for my Atlantic, it was chosen by the RCAF over the Boeing 707  ------  ;D

My thread is called Wide Body Avro Atlantic because the plan is to build one with a fuselage diameter I think Avro should have gone with. The Atlantic above has a 12'-6" diameter fuselage, the 'wide body' one will have a diameter around 15'-0", like this below

In actuality, the Vulcan wing fits onto the 767 fuselage very well ( the depth of the wing chord for the 767 and Vulcan being almost the same)

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 13, 2016, 02:13:04 AM

Avro nearly made one, they called it the 'Atlantic'.  ;D

A picture straight out of the Avro Brochure

kerick

Needs to be area ruled, that would make it cooler!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

eatthis

Quote from: kerick on May 13, 2016, 06:32:08 PM

does area ruling matter for subsonic?
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

kitnut617

Quote from: eatthis on May 14, 2016, 03:17:15 AM
Quote from: kerick on May 13, 2016, 06:32:08 PM

does area ruling matter for subsonic?

While using a 1/72 A310 fuselage for another project, I noticed that just behind the wing the fuselage bulge a bit as I was sanding one side of it. I then compared it with the other half and that had a bulge too.  I thought it was just a quirk of the kit, that is until one day at work (on the airfield at YYC) when I was stationed right behind where they had parked a Voyager (about a 100 feet away). I saw that sure enough the fuselage bulges just behind the wing, not all around though, just the sides and the bottom.  If I'm ever over on that part of the airfield again I'll try to take some photos of it.

Captain Canada

Some great footage there ! Thanks

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?