Main Menu

Modern Tirpitz

Started by Raptormodeller, May 14, 2016, 09:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raptormodeller

No backstory... yet.

here's itiration 1, going to add missiles in the second version :)

Removed all the telegraph poles/wires.

Removed funnel. This one's Nuclear powered. :evil_laugh:

Shortened superstructure

Removed lower rear turret

Added a hangar

Added two flight decks, one at the back, one at the front.

New hat

Secure Link 18+ comms pole

New Fritz 021 radar, the one at the front.

Added NG A2A radar from Signaal

Added ballistic shield to turrets 2 and 3.

New weather radar and SIMRAD.

Made out of Chobham armour.

chomp chomp

-raptor

Here's the original unedited boat: http://orig11.deviantart.net/074c/f/2011/027/1/c/tirpitz_by_lex_the_pikachu-d385o9r.png

A raptor with a difference
Whiffs are life                                            I found vis on vi intarnat i down noh  
the worlds ONLY modelling raptor               whow toow speel

eatthis

very nice :)
now get it built  :thumbsup:
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

PR19_Kit

Now that's different.  :thumbsup:

How does it fare against Tallboys dropped from a great height?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 14, 2016, 11:18:22 AM

A bit hit and miss I would say  ;D :rolleyes:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

andrewj

An upgraded , modernised Tirpitz : therefore , an upgraded , laser guided , rocket assisted Tallboy.

Andrew

Raptormodeller

Quote from: Raptormodeller on May 14, 2016, 09:02:43 AM

Whiffs are life                                            I found vis on vi intarnat i down noh  

Old Wombat

Quote from: Raptormodeller on May 14, 2016, 03:26:18 PM

Quote from: Raptormodeller on May 14, 2016, 09:02:43 AM

I still give the Tall Boy the win.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

nönöbär

I will have my eye on this one, as a "modernized" Tirpitz is on my "to-do" list as well. Altough I would go for something in the mid 80s time frame, so not so advanced as yours.
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

Raptormodeller

I said I'd do a backstory, here it is. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

In mid 1943 the german crew of the Tirpitz felt the net was closing in on them. Not wanting to become POW's or have their ship sunk the officers disoboyed direct orders from Berlin and staged a vote. In the vote, it turned out that 60 percent of the crew wanted to give up the war, but didn't want to surrender. The captain now wanted to sail to Greenland and sign a 'peace' treaty with the natives so they didn't give away their position in exchange for teaching children german and teaching them how to fish and sail. But, he knew his ship was under constant surveillance from Norwegian resistance. What he did was pure genius. He intentionally radioed German High command on uncrypted channels, saying "Ship damaged am sailing to Tromso for repairs". The resistance picked up the message and sent it to Britain. What he didn't say is that he had asked the Bismarck crew to set sail for Tromso in Tirpitz' colours while he sailed to Greenland. The plan worked and the entire crew and ship survived the war. The Bismarck however, was sunk as the Tirpitz, and for many years, people couldn't figure out what had happened to the Bismarck. Eventually, they figured it out.
After the war, the crew recieved several propositions. The Americans wanted the ship for atomic tests. The British wanted it for steel and the Soviets wanted it as a 'training' ship. Instead they sailed back to Hamburg and reintergrated the navy. The West German government, however couldn't figure out what to so with it, so, it was mothballed.
From 1952 to 1986 the USSR staged a series of naval probing attacks in West German borders. Mainly using the captured Gneisenau, albeit modernised.
The West Germans didn't like this one bit and readied Tirpitz for war. Literally. New radar and radio was added, a more advanced fire control system, but also a flight deck to accomodate helicopters for target spotting and SAR/ASW roles. The new crew, however, needed training, so they went and trained on the USS Missouri. Waking up an hour early every day, practising gunnery skills from dawn to dusk and even doing live fire exercises on Sundays when the Americans were still in bed. The captain didn't like this one bit and kicked the german gunnery crews out a week early. As revenge for getting kicked out, they fired a full broadside at two in the morning on their final night.
In 1953, the Tirpitz was ready for action and started policing the strecth of water in between Sweden and Germany, when a Soviet ship appeared, they didn't ask questions and sunk the ship when it was in range. In retaliation, the Soviets sent the Gneisenau down to get rid of the Tipitz. The Gneisenau sank without even knowing the Tirpitz was there. From 1955 onwards, the Soviets stopped using capital ships for their probing attacks and used small high speed skiffs instead. Almost all of the skiffs sank. In 1985 they wanted the Tirpitz dealt with, so they sent the brand new Kirov battlecruiser to sink it. Two anti ship missiles  were fired at the Tirpitz, one was destroyed by CIWS, the other exploded on the armour belt. The damage was minimal, and in retaliation fired 4 successive broadsides at the Kirov, taking out many decks and delicate radars on the superstructure. The soviets had finally learnt theur lesson and stopped the probing attacks in 1986. The Tirpitz was decommisioned in 1987 and is now a floating museum similar to HMS Belfast.
In 1991, it became clear that battleships could still be used effectively and that firing the big guns was much less expensive when compared to cruise missiles. The New german government sent out a tender to all European shipyards for a modern battleship with three triple 16 inch turrets and advanced systems. STX Europe won the tender in 1993 and began refining its design. But then, the new chancellor asked that the ship or ships were to bear a ressemblance to the original Tirpitz. STX Europe started from scratch and came up with a striking design which is thought to have inspired ship designers for the Type 45 destroyer. Building of the first ship commenced in 1999 and was commissoned in 2002 as the Tirpitz 2, commonally called 'Junior' by her crew.
The German navy was so impressed it ordered three more, albeit, with the Sea Viper missile system. The final ship is to be commissioned in late 2016.

zenrat

Would the CIWS be able to lock onto and elevate high enough to target a Tallboy?
Is that too much of a Kendra/Robin/Hannah question?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Raptormodeller

Quote from: zenrat on May 15, 2016, 03:44:53 AM
Would the CIWS be able to lock onto and elevate high enough to target a Tallboy?

If the Tallboy is within the 500 metre kill zone then yes, it could target a tallboy.

zenrat

Quote from: Raptormodeller on May 15, 2016, 05:04:01 AM

If the Tallboy is within the 500 metre kill zone then yes, it could target a tallboy.

OK.  But would it do any good if the Tallboy was going to hit the ship?
IIRC the Tallboy casings were made from pretty serious steel.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on May 16, 2016, 03:43:29 AM

Precisely, and it would be going like the clappers as well. That's a LOT of kinetic energy to deal with, let alone the RDX or Torpex or whatever they were filled with.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on May 16, 2016, 03:43:29 AM

I doubt they'd be of any real effect.

Quote from: wikipediaTo be able to penetrate the earth (or hardened targets) without breaking apart, the casing of the Tallboy had to be strong. Each was cast in one piece of high-tensile steel that would enable it to survive the impact before detonation. At the same time, to achieve the penetration required, Wallis designed the Tallboy to be very aerodynamic so that, when dropped from a great height, it would reach a terminal velocity much higher than traditional bomb designs.

In the final design, the No. 78 Mark I tail of the bomb was about half the overall length of the finished weapon; the bomb casing was some 10 ft (3.0 m) of the overall 21-foot (6.4 m) length. Initially, the bomb had a tendency to tumble, so the tail was modified: the fins were given a slight twist so that the bomb spun as it fell. The gyroscopic effect thus generated stopped the pitching and yawing, improved the aerodynamics, and improved accuracy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallboy_%28bomb%29
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

Oh I like that ! I`ve been looking for somat to do with my old Tirpitz and that's just the ticket !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?