Can you tell what it is yet?

Started by Gondor, May 22, 2016, 01:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

So I have been working on this build on and off for some time. I had at the start of this month bought a set of decals to use in this build, however I decided that there could be a different version or rather the same type of aircraft but operated by an entirely different user.
So one short request for help ended up with JayBee sending me the required decals as seen below.

I know that in the first picture the fin flash is at a slight angle, however I am not worried by it as its the aircraft type and the operator rather than the quality of the build or finish that matters here.

Hope you enjoy, the starts will be on tomorrow after I seal the rest of the roundels in place.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

DogfighterZen

Might be the Gina, has the right characteristics... anyway, it's looking very interesting, looking forward to the revelation. :thumbsup:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

I will have to be more careful the next time I want to hide what I am building as both Flyer and DogfighterZen are correct. It's a Yugoslav G.91. Its going to have very basic decalling, just serials on the nose other than the roundels and probably no stores but then not every military aircraft needs to have anything hanging off it.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Flyer on May 22, 2016, 03:53:16 PM
Yugoslavian G.91?

My first guess, too. Not certain about the kit, though.

Gondor

Its by Meng. Mostly a very good fit.

Gondor

Dizzyfugu

Ah, that explains why I was not able to identify it. I have built the Airfix, Revell and Matchbox kits (O.K., the latter is a G.91Y), but none would match with the pictures. Good idea, neverthless. Yugoslavia is a neglected topic, esp. because there were (and are) some interesting if not weird indigenous aircraft designs.

DogfighterZen

;D At first i thought Mig like the Captain Said, but the wings gave it away, not many aircraft have that mix, F-86 type of wing with the angled wingtip, and the same angle on the tail. But i admit i am biased as it is one of the most iconic jets for Portuguese aeronautical enthusiasts.
I also have that kit in the stash, but for a PoAF RW build, it's very good to know that it fits well as the detail is very nice on the whole kit.
Now, let's have them pichers!! ;D

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Gondor

Quote from: DogfighterZen on May 23, 2016, 11:37:53 AM
;D At first i thought Mig like the Captain Said, but the wings gave it away, not many aircraft have that mix, F-86 type of wing with the angled wingtip, and the same angle on the tail. But i admit i am biased as it is one of the most iconic jets for Portuguese aeronautical enthusiasts.
I also have that kit in the stash, but for a PoAF RW build, it's very good to know that it fits well as the detail is very nice on the whole kit.
Now, let's have them pichers!! ;D

I said Mostly. The canopy could fit better and some joints are very tight indeed. I had to do quite a bit of clamping to get some parts to fit tightly together especially around the front of the wings.

Anyhoo, here is a picture with all the decals on the kit

If I don't get tied up in anything else I should get the undercarriage on tomorrow which could be problematic as the nose undercarriage leg was missing the axle. I have made a replacement axle by using some wire which I fixed to the wheel, still go to attach it to the leg though.

Gondor

JayBee

Love it Alistair.
Especialy the thought process.  :thumbsup:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

DogfighterZen

I was right, that looks very good, the markings look great on that camo! :thumbsup:
Re the kit, thanks for the warning, i'll be extra careful with the areas you mentioned, but the canopy's fit is worrying, maybe i'll leave it open if i don't like the way it looks closed up.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Does the Gina have a grey belly, or bright blue, like many Yugoslavian Air Force machines?

Gondor

I have done it light Grey. I could say that its straight off the production line and they didn't have the correct paint  :rolleyes:

Gondor

Gondor

I managed to make some progress in the last couple of days to the point where I have almost finished this build.

Now that people know what the aircraft is I can show the latest "in progress" pictures and the problems that I have worked around.

First the nose undercarriage leg.

I have known about the lack of an axle for almost as long as I have had the kit but rather than try to get a replacement I decided that what was actually missing was easily replaceable. Here is what I came up with.

I found that the good old paper clip was just the right size to be the replacement axle. A real "Blue Peter" moment for me  ;D

This is the nose wheel fitted to its leg, not perfect but then none of my builds are and the result looks the part which is the main thing.

And here it is this morning on all its wheels

Just got to do some touch up paint wise and to replace the probes on the wing tips and she will be done  :thumbsup:

Think I will leave her without any stores on as somehow I think this one looks better without them.

Gondor