Dutch TSR2 1980s EWF

Started by Paper Kosmonaut, May 24, 2016, 01:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paper Kosmonaut

I am new here, thanks for letting me aboard. I was a frequent visitor before the forum went behind the login and it took a long time before I could register. I have always been inspired by what I have seen here and I tried some of it myself.
I mostly work in paper so you might find a paper model of some sort now and then but for now I'll start with some plastic ones.
These Whifs are all aircraft which never were acquired by the Dutch air force but of which I found they should have.
Oh yeah: most of my Whifs all are in the same universe, one in which the Netherlands is a republic (again). A somewhat long story which I will elaborate on another time. First off is my 1/48 TSR2. I love the plane and this one is a later model with radar jamming equipment and used for electronic warfare. The kit is Airfix (of course - and what a hulk of plastic it is. It needed a lot of reworking and even more putty to get it where it ultimately was.) I used a couple of after market kits (cockpit set and recon pack) but fantasized happily on colours and greeblies.
Hope you like it.

dei t dut mout t waiten!

Gondor

That's a very nice as a first posting here  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Army of One

Great first post........not seen a Dutch one before........welcome to the madhouse...... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Paper Kosmonaut

Thanks, guys. Glad to be on board. There are a couple more photos if you like.
What is the common policy on posting pictures? I have the idea mine are a tad too large...
dei t dut mout t waiten!

Army of One

I'd love to see more of them.....i don't see anything wrong with the pics.....I'm sure a mod will be along soon n let you know.....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Weaver

Hi There - welcome aboard!  ;D

Quote from: Paper Kosmonaut on May 24, 2016, 11:24:09 PM
Thanks, guys. Glad to be on board. There are a couple more photos if you like.
What is the common policy on posting pictures? I have the idea mine are a tad too large...

There isn't a hard and fast rule re size, but I'd advise making them a bit smaller. You don't want people to have to side-scroll the post or shrink the page too much to see them properly.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Nice piece - and welcome on board!  :smiley:

Cobra

Top Notch Work & Welcome to the Realm of Wild & Cool Ideas ;D ;D ;D ;D Hope to see More Top Notch Stuff from You. Dan

zenrat

Nice build.

Personally I prefer not to have to scroll to see all the picture but I am notoriously bone idle.

And welcome.  You do realise you now belong to us?  You can log out but you can never leave... :wacko:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on May 25, 2016, 02:26:57 AM

You can log out but you can never leave... :wacko:

Hehehe.  :thumbsup: :bow:

From 'Hotel Whiffornia' no doubt?  ;D

Terrific TSR2 BTW.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Wellcome aboard, great way to enter  :thumbsup:

As for picture size ? As said there is no hard and fast rule but it's probably best if you don't have to scroll to see all of the picture. I'm lazy to  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 25, 2016, 07:18:46 AM
Wellcome aboard, great way to enter  :thumbsup:

As for picture size ? As said there is no hard and fast rule but it's probably best if you don't have to scroll to see all of the picture. I'm lazy to  ;D

Lazy enough not to put the second "o" in too at the end of your sentence  :rolleyes:  ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Paper Kosmonaut

Okay, point taken! I reduced my pictures a little more. Now they are 1000 pixels wide.
Here's two more, so I can see how big this will be. If still too large, I'll reduce them some more.
Two more photos from the pointy side of the plane.

The cockpit detail set (nicely made stuff) is made by Wolfpack. It also included the fantastically realistic pitot tube. I now wish I also bought a white metal main gear set because of the weird splayed legs of the TSR and the weak connection with the bogeys. The recon pack underneath its belly is also made of solid resin so it is quite heavy. I don't really recommend the Airfix TSR2, however, I think it really is too crudely crafted. They could do with a newly designed mould.
dei t dut mout t waiten!

Captain Canada

Nice one ! Looks great in those colours and markings, and you can never go wrong with adding greeblies !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Paper Kosmonaut

Some more.

The EWF pod on the tail was mainly made from a leftover part of a P-38 Lightning. (the droop snoot, IIRC) The decal is my own work. I thought it would be nice to give the planes not just their (genuine) squadron logo but also an indication of where they are stationed. A little more like the USAF. This one is from Leeuwarden, 322 SQN. serial number on top of the escutcheon.

"Republic of the Netherlands". I used lots of decals provided by the kit but also some aftermarket decal stuff (I originally planned this one to be in winter camo but I later did that with another plane and really liked the dark look of the TSR like it is now. The Dutch decals (except for the roundels) were self made. And although the plane was looking smooth and all, the self made decals are a little thicker and unfortunately started to silver a little bit. I also tried to use set and sol to let the printed decals sink into the panel lines but I guess they just were too thick...

First timer in trying to give the plane a dirt wash. I wanted to give the plane a really grimy well-used, almost worn-out look. And that I managed. But perhaps I overdid it a little....
dei t dut mout t waiten!