Hawker Siddeley Harrier-Hawk

Started by Caveman, May 30, 2016, 01:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caveman

A second idea for a whif (this one to be completed within the GB rule's times   :banghead: ).

Details and pics to come.
secretprojects forum migrant

Caveman

Something, akin to this:

Apologies for the poor quality, I bodged it together on my phone waiting at a station.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Ah ha! it's like my Harrier B idea - the cheap non VSTOL version for poorer countries.
One engine with a split tail pipe maybe?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Caveman

Quote from: zenrat on May 31, 2016, 04:17:55 AM
Ah ha! it's like my Harrier B idea - the cheap non VSTOL version for poorer countries.
One engine with a split tail pipe maybe?

Tail from a A4, single pipe.

PR19_Kit

The Pegasus being the air mover that it is, it needs a MUCH larger exhaust, or a different engine and much smaller intakes.......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

I've also thought about a de-VTOL-ized Harrier. A-4 tail could work, but IMHO the flanks and the air intakes need a major re-do. Tough project, IMHO, and the landing gear might also become a challenge - not certain how much speed the tandem arrangement takes?

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

ysi_maniac

Hi Caveman: I am sorry for occuping your thread but some years ago I made this drawings:

Just to suggest you ideas.
Will die without understanding this world.

Caveman

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 31, 2016, 06:42:25 AM
The Pegasus being the air mover that it is, it needs a MUCH larger exhaust, or a different engine and much smaller intakes.......

Ah, I've thought a bit about this. Mirage style inlet half cones. That'd be the easiest way to reduce area I think. Not necessarily the most aerodynamically correct but hey, who is going to do the maths to check?

Captain Canada

Love those Harrier profiles YSI ! I'll take either 1 or 2, or a mix....*click* *save*

:wub: :bow: :cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

I like the Skyhawk tail but it surely needs a larger exhaust. Or two exhausts in a twin engine set up. Something like the Phantom butt in ysi_maniac's drawings.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Having seen Harriers & Skyhawks sitting next to each other in the hangar at HMAS Albatross just after the Falklands, the Scooter tail looks to be slightly under-scale.

However, the Scooter has a pretty narrow exhaust, as is, & its Pratt & Whitney J52-P8A gives less than half the thrust (9,000-ish lbf) of the AV-8's Rolls-Royce F402-RR-408 (23,000-ish lbf).

If you want to go coaxial turbine, perhaps you could "fit" a Spey (12,000 lbf - 20,000 with a/b) or Allison TF-41 (14,000 lbf) into the design for better thrust?
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: kerick on May 31, 2016, 05:55:31 PM
I like the Skyhawk tail but it surely needs a larger exhaust. Or two exhausts in a twin engine set up. Something like the Phantom butt in ysi_maniac's drawings.

You could perhaps stick a Yak-38 tail onto the Harrier fuselage? This would yield two exhausts, and shape and size should more or less fit, too.

zenrat

My plan is to...

Hmm, maybe I should just build it for the GB?
I'll be using only Harrier parts so it'll be very different from your plan Caveman.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..