Hawker Siddeley Harrier-Hawk

Started by Caveman, May 30, 2016, 01:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caveman

Hey, crack on. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to not build something because I've mentioned I intend to do something similar.
secretprojects forum migrant

Caveman

First steps:

Chopped out the nozzles and associated contouring on the harrier and lopped off both birds tails. (On the right hand fuse half of each)

A bit of PSR - much more to come - and a quick fit check

Bottom pick shows the profile difference at this point. I'll fair it in with some styrene and filler.

Devilfish

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 31, 2016, 06:52:33 PM
Having seen Harriers & Skyhawks sitting next to each other in the hangar at HMAS Albatross just after the Falklands, the Scooter tail looks to be slightly under-scale.

However, the Scooter has a pretty narrow exhaust, as is, & its Pratt & Whitney J52-P8A gives less than half the thrust (9,000-ish lbf) of the AV-8's Rolls-Royce F402-RR-408 (23,000-ish lbf).

If you want to go coaxial turbine, perhaps you could "fit" a Spey (12,000 lbf - 20,000 with a/b) or Allison TF-41 (14,000 lbf) into the design for better thrust?

Yes, but remember, the Harrier has so much thrust because it needs to be able to lift itself straight off the deck.  With the engine only providing thrust backwards, the wings do a lot more of the work.

Old Wombat

My point was that, if you wanted a faster jet than either the Skyhawk or Harrier, you had the choice of the massively over-powered F402-RR-408 or one of 2 lower-power engines, each considerably more powerful than the Skyhawk's J52-P8A.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

I'm liking the look of this one already !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Caveman

A couple of mock up shots to keep me motivated. Sorry about the poor quality.

This last shot shows where my main concern is.  Its going to need a fair amount of blending to get these 2 profiles to meet and I want to make it look smooth and not kinked.  If anyone has any recommendations I would be happy to hear them

PR19_Kit

Strips of styrene of varying thickness and depth laid over the 'bumpy' areas. Then file, sand and PSR to choice?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Build up the low-lying bits with thin strips of styrene, file down the high bits, blend with putty, PSR until you get the profile you like & (Yuck!) scribe new panel lines.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitnut617

maybe an exhaust nozzle from an F-18 would be more appropriate ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

For sure it's going to be a challenge but so worth it !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

buzzbomb

nice looking bird :thumbsup:

There is always the "area Rule" type fuselage like the Buccaneer. That form wanders all over the place and with scientific grounding.. and looks great to boot

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Caveman

Progress! Lots of PSRing done, more to come. I'm thinking about landing gear options (and wussing out by modelling her in flight).

zenrat

Starting to come together nicely.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

Sure is. Defo gives her a nice shape ! I'd go standard gear as the wing is so thin, no ? or F-104/ F-16 type ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?