Started by loupgarou, June 01, 2016, 12:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Quote from: TallEng on June 09, 2016, 03:10:35 PM
Quote from: Gondor on June 09, 2016, 02:53:08 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 09, 2016, 11:24:52 AM
Quote from: Captain Canada on June 09, 2016, 05:32:38 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 01, 2016, 08:42:39 AM
It's a BIG river, lots of room for quite a few carriers.  ;)
Mind you, some of the bridges are a tad low...........

Strap all of the aeroplanes on deck at full power and see if you can fly over the bridge ?

:wacko:

Reminds me of a tale about an RN carrier that got round a shortage of tugs at some harbour or another, and which got itself to its correct berth by using the prop-wash of its embarked air group to sail sideways into position.  ;D

Apparently that was fairly common practice at one time, not particularly popular with the aircraft mechanics as it wore the engines out

Gondor

known as "Pinwheeling" (check out operation pinwheel on your favorite search machine)
Mostly by piston engined aircraft, for use in confined harbour or when no tugs where available to help manouver your Carrier.

If you watch the movie, "The Bridges of Toko-Ri" you'll see this in action with Skyraiders being used to maneuver the carrier into a Japanese habour.   You even have the pilots complaining about the misuse of their aircraft(!).
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 10, 2016, 06:51:07 AM
There's a Korean War film (movie for our US cousins) where one of the ship's officers uses the Corsairs for that very purpose and the Air Group C.O. puts in an official complaint for that very reason  ;D I think it's The Bridges of Toko Ri ?

Oh yes, starring Micky Rooney as an S-51 chopper pilot, yes?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on June 10, 2016, 07:59:42 AM

If you watch the movie, "The Bridges of Toko-Ri" you'll see this in action with Skyraiders being used to maneuver the carrier into a Japanese habour.   You even have the pilots complaining about the misuse of their aircraft(!).

Could have sworn they were Corsairs
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 10, 2016, 10:36:04 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on June 10, 2016, 06:51:07 AM
There's a Korean War film (movie for our US cousins) where one of the ship's officers uses the Corsairs for that very purpose and the Air Group C.O. puts in an official complaint for that very reason  ;D I think it's The Bridges of Toko Ri ?

Oh yes, starring Micky Rooney as an S-51 chopper pilot, yes?

Yes.  Not a bad movie, even if the tactics against the bridge leave a great deal to be desired.   :rolleyes:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.