Fnord Galactic Skyliner Hover Car - Finished pics page 4

Started by zenrat, June 01, 2016, 03:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

:thumbsup: United Earth Navy Hover Car.  Possibly an Admirals Barge.

I should be in a position to glue the body parts together soon and then I can sit it on the tubes and take a mock up pic.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Well its glued - two sides, the rear part of the boot and nose section are now forming the outline of a car body.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

kerick

I saw a kit similar to this in the LHS yesterday. I resisted the urge.
Yours is going to be a very interesting build.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Tube glue eat your heart out.  Today's solvent of choice was Plumbers Solvent PVC pipe glue.

Body will be mounted higher, but for mock up purposes...
Fred

NARSES2

To say I'm intrigued is putting it mildly  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

My brain hurts.................  :unsure:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 06, 2016, 06:26:12 AM
To say I'm intrigued is putting it mildly  ;D

It's a joint venture with Geneva's CERN
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CERN
to develop a sewage synchrotron.  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 06, 2016, 06:26:12 AM
To say I'm intrigued is putting it mildly  ;D

Me to.  I'm making it up as I go.

Today I started cutting the plate which will form the floor of the car and fit within the grav lift torus.  This would have been much easier if I had done it before sticking all the bits of conduit together.
A rummage in my parts box came up with a pair of 1/72 MiG 29 burner cans which will provide propulsion.
Fred

zenrat

The problem (OK, one of the problems) with using plumbing & electrical fittings for building models is that mould separation lines and sprue attachment points are not really what they are thinking about when they design the moulds.  And they are not exactly taking care cutting them from the sprues either.
So I spent much of my modelling time today cleaning up all the conduit fittings with filing sticks and sanding sponges. They'll need some filler though.  Hope it sticks to the PVC.

Fred

Gondor

Quote from: zenrat on June 08, 2016, 03:48:34 AM

The problem (OK, one of the problems) with using plumbing & electrical fittings for building models is that mould separation lines and sprue attachment points are not really what they are thinking about when they design the moulds.  And they are not exactly taking care cutting them from the sprues either.
So I spent much of my modelling time today cleaning up all the conduit fittings with filing sticks and sanding sponges. They'll need some filler though.  Hope it sticks to the PVC.

If you apply some adhesive to the surface that you are going to add filler to that should soften the surface to help the filler to bond with the plastic. I have used this technique when filling shallow depressions on a shiny plastic in the past to good effect.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

Thanks for the tip Alastair.
I have some "special" glue for sticking PVC & styrene which I bought at last years Model Expo to use on the FW189 Tilt Fan.  Tetra it's called.
I put some filler on the pipes today before reading your tip so i'll find out tomorrow if it falls off or not.
Fred

Captain Canada

That's pretty cool and defo different ! Nice use of materials as well.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Just nipped down and sanded the filler I put straight onto the PVC pipes.  It has stuck well enough that it didn't all fall off.
Next step is getting paint to adhere.  Hopefully my primer collection will have something acceptable.
Fred

zenrat

Given the pipes a nice thick coating of etching primer.  It appears to have covered OK.
Fred

zenrat

Purchased a 1/48 Monogram Me 262 ($10 but still overpriced IMO) to provide thrust engines for this.
Started assembling them today.
Fred