Royal Navy Gnat - finished

Started by Devilfish, June 01, 2016, 11:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Looking good ! I like the launch rail and booster. A ZELL dio is somat I have always wanted to do.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Old Wombat

Quote from: RAFF-35 on June 29, 2016, 10:19:24 AM
... and I also quite like the look of shoulder rails to be honest  ;D

You're weird!
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Devilfish

The Gnat has gained its over-wing missile rails...

And a pilot, complete with his immersion suit...(I really can't paint figures!!)

Started painting. The underside gets a coat of classic white.

and the booster gets aluminium

Dizzyfugu

The wider nose with the radome looks cool!  :thumbsup:

Weaver

This is a great project (glad I'm not flying it mind...  ;) ).

Quote from: Captain Canada on June 09, 2016, 05:29:30 AM
I've never seen the lattice styrene before, who/ where did you get that ? Is it Evergreen ? Sure would be handy in a few ideas I've had over the years !

:cheers:

Think it's made by Plastruct.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Devilfish

Quote from: Weaver on July 04, 2016, 04:56:59 AM
This is a great project (glad I'm not flying it mind...  ;) ).

I'd be more worried about landing it....

Devilfish

Aaaaaand, it has some paint.....

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

That looks great ! The Hawk of it's time  :thumbsup: Great job and love the colours on her.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

Nice! That EDSG/Sky livery suits the Gnat well!

Devilfish

Started the decaling...

KiwiZac

That colour scheme is superb on the Gnat! Lovely work!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: KiwiZac on July 09, 2016, 09:36:43 PM
That colour scheme is superb on the Gnat! Lovely work!

Second that, and I can confirm this impression from my current build.  :cheers:

Devilfish

Finished it.

In 1960 the Royal Navy started looking at ways in which to protect it's fleet from airborne attack without the need for big expensive carriers.
One of the concepts favoured was that of the old catapult armed merchant ship, but brought up to date.
A plan was devised where a number of ships would be modified to carry up to 4 small, fast, maneuverable fighters to act as air defence.
To launch check them, they would be fired upwards at an angle with a rocket booster. Landing would be either by "dropping" onto a rubber deck and arrester net combo, or, as a last resort, ditching and taking to a life raft.
The Folland Gnat was chosen as the base aircraft. Initial intenations were to keep it fairly off the shelf, but arm it with 2 Firestreak missiles.  The F.1 entered service in 1965 aboard the only ship to be converted, renamed HMS Zellous.
By 1974, the Gnats were getting a bit out of their depth and plans were made to scrap them. However, funds were made available to improve them, and the F.2 was introduced. It featured a small AI radar, a 30mm cannon and AIM-9 missiles replacing the obsolete Firestreaks.
The F.2 soldiered on until 1984, before finally being retired.
An F.2 has the honour of the first kill in the 1982 Falklands war, as HMS Zellous was on a routine supply run to the islands as the invasion started.
All 4 Gnats were launched within a matter of 20 minutes, a crew record (the ship only carried one launcher)