DONE (@ p.5) - Focke Wulf Ta 338 (inspired by Flyer's Fw 190 VTOL RC project)

Started by Dizzyfugu, June 08, 2016, 06:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer

Oh yeah! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have my kits back with me now, I'll start sorting and cutting tomorrow. Also will need to scratch up a prop. :cheers:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Paper Kosmonaut

Very interesting build! I like them the most when they have a real sense of realism and this easily could be a Luft'46-y design.
Nice work!
dei t dut mout t waiten!

Dizzyfugu

Yesterday's progress, I am getting into details. For instance, RATO assistance, perhaps...?

1:72 Focke Wulf Ta 338 (Fw 190 VTOL thing/whif) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Differing from the line drawing I will add four wheels to the tail, because I think that this would make handling of this aircraft on the ground easier. The struts will be scratched from 1mm wire and the wheels come from an 1:144 Tu-22M bomber. I just hape that they are (still) not too big for the compact aircraft?

Where to put weapons? There's literally no space - the whole nose is packed with the BMW 803 and the oil cooler, the inner wings are blocked by the propeller disc and the radiator baths. The outer wings are the only place left... These slipper tanks from a MiG-15 will become cannon pods, and they have to be blended with the straight Fw 190 wing's leading edge.

The cowling received some more details, e .g. a carburetor intake below as well as two more bumbs towards the front end.

Tadah! Still some way to go, but  the final, complete configuration had been achieved.

Not certain about the paint scheme yet. One option I favorize is overall RLM 76 with light blotches of RLM 81 and 82 towards what is "up" on the ground (cowling and leading edges), so that the aircraft is camouflaged rather on the ground. The alternative is a rather shappy look, with primed and unpainted areas, makeshift camouflage and very primitive markings, as if hastily pulled out of the factory and pushed into last-ditch Reichsverteidigungs service?

Army of One

Love the dound of both ideas.....but if i had to choose....I'd say go with the shabby not finished rushed into service look...... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Flyer

"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

PR19_Kit

Better and better with all the bits added. The cannon pods just outside the rads look terrific.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Painting is underway - I went for the semi-finished livery, even though it turned out to look more "finished" than expected.

Cowling will be NMF with flashy decoration, while the wings' undersides are NMF, too, with rudders in RLM76 and a leading edge in RLM75 (as seen on many late Fw 190's). Similar design goes onto the fins: NMF with rudders in RLM76.
Wings' upper side in RLM75, but with thinned RLM82 on top. Fuselage RLM76 from below, and with RLM82/83 upper side and mottles on the flanks. Mottles of the upper/lower camouflage colors will also be applied over the fins, so that the NMF and the painted rudders shine through. Not certain how this turns out, but I want a rather inhomogen look. Things evolve rather spontaneously.

dumaniac

zenrat

I picked up an Airfix 190 A8 at the swap & sell at Expo today - the new boxing.
I paid a grand total of $7 for it.
The man who sold it to me told me how good it was and didn't seem to be amused when I told him I what I was going to do to it.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

The new one is really good. I was sceptical but saw the kit a couple of days ago at a friend - impressive and real good value for the money.

In the meantime, basic painting has been finished; applied a black ink wash and some dry brushing.

Wonder about the tactical markings/decals. At the moment I favor a red fuselage band (split by the fins) and a simple (but unusual) letter code - very minimalistic.
Also found black "eagle wings" with red trim from an Fw 190 F (to be placed behind that aircraft's exhaust stubs, an arrangement that comes close to my build's), and I might add them, too.
Besides, there's actually not much space to put a lot of markings...

More pics maybe this evening.