DONE (@ p.5) - Focke Wulf Ta 338 (inspired by Flyer's Fw 190 VTOL RC project)

Started by Dizzyfugu, June 08, 2016, 06:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Well, several days ago I stumbled across this artwork:

More here: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,39500.255.html

Fascinating, to say the least.  :wub: And since I just finished the converted Étendard IVS for the In The NAvy GB and wait for decals for another project, I use the time to take this concept to the hardware stage.

Basis is a Hobby Boss Fw 190 D-9, because I found one in the pile, it's massive and the tail extension offers some more material to work with.
Tail surfaces will come from two MiG-21 kits, extended cowling (in my world with a BMW 803 inside) will be bashed/sculpted, the contraprop will come from a vintage 1:100 Tu-20/95 bomber from VEB Plasticart.

Wonder if I can add small wheels to the four fin tip pods? And I am not certain what and where to put ordnance - I might end wing tip pods, either with guns or pack with unguided R4M rockets. The latter appears more suitable.

Stay tuned.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 08, 2016, 06:37:29 AM

Wonder if I can add small wheels to the four fin tip pods? And I am not certain what and where to put ordnance - I might end wing tip pods, either with guns or pack with unguided R4M rockets. The latter appears more suitable.

Lockheed did exactly that with the landing gear, some 5-10 years later, but they had 2 x 20 mm cannon in their wingtip pods, or at least they intended to anyway.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Yup, I am aware of that - and it's IMHO the only option. But this Fw 190 thing will be much more compact than the Lockheed XFV - I like the small size and the purposeful look of the drawing a lot!  :wacko:

Old Wombat

Do both ... sort of. ;)

Scrap the cowl guns (too difficult to synchronise through contraprops), put in wing cannon just outboard of the prop arc & rocket pods on the wingtips. :thumbsup:

Re: the landing gear; wheels are the best option (though they'd need brakes to stop her rolling away on landing/take-off) but pads are almost as good. :-\

Be fun watching this come together! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 08, 2016, 07:41:39 AM
Scrap the cowl guns (too difficult to synchronise through contraprops), put in wing cannon just outboard of the prop arc & rocket pods on the wingtips. :thumbsup:

This has already been done, together with the bulges and barrels of the wing root guns. I just have to check the relative new wing gun position to the new and bigger propeller arc. They could end up very far outboard, so I might avoid internal guns completely and move everything to wing tip pods as on the XFV. Underwing gun fairings are another option, though, I have a pair of twin-MG 151/20 pods from an Academy Fw 190 A/F as options.  ;D

Wheels will have to be improvised/scratched, and due to their little size this could become challenging... But pads appear too simple - how would you move this thing around on the ground?

Another option (has to be checked when the fuselage is ready to take the fins) is a single, large wheel in the tail section, plus four "outrigger" wheels? Would certainly make sense concerning weight distribution and the rigidity of the fins?

Anyway, this is so sick and Luft '46 as it can get, I enjoy the challenge of building it!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 08, 2016, 07:50:46 AM

Wheels will have to be improvised/scratched, and due to their little size this could become challenging... But pads appear too simple - how would you move this thing around on the ground?

Another option (has to be checked when the fuselage is ready to take the fins) is a single, large wheel in the tail section, plus four "outrigger" wheels? Would certainly make sense concerning weight distribution and the rigidity of the fins?

The KP (Kaypro) Convair Pogo has a set of such small wheels and the kit is lot easier to come by than the Valom Lockheed XFV-1.

The single centre wheel plus four outriggers was one alternative suggested for the Northrop N63 but they decided on a collapsible rear fuselage instead........  :unsure:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 08, 2016, 08:48:53 AM
The KP (Kaypro) Convair Pogo has a set of such small wheels and the kit is lot easier to come by than the Valom Lockheed XFV-1.

I have both in the stash, but do not dare transplantations.  ;)

The single centre wheel plus four outriggers would fit because the cut-off fuselage end looks a little strange?

Anyway, here's a document from yesterday's surgery madness:

Unholy Luft '46 project... by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Muahahaha!  :wacko:

Army of One

Dizzy.......I have many many 1/144 wheels n tyres left over from my jet builds....( all modern jets) all are surplus at the moment....what sort of size you looking for and how many......? Be happy to post as soon as I have a reply.........
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Leading Observer

Looking forward to seeing this one in a couple of days ;D ;D - cannon through the prop hub gets my vote :bow: :bow:
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

No new pics so far, but further progress, primarily PSR stuff. As can be seen in the former picture, the cowling was cut off from the fuselage, and I will insert a plug in the form of a BMW 801 cowling (from an Italeri Ju 188), together with its exhaust stub ring as an adapter. This "crevice" will later be the outlet for the annular oil cooler in the nose - for the intended BMW 803 engine, this would certainly not be enough.

Additionally, since no classic landing gear is on board, I will use the wells' space in the wings for two broad coolers in the wings' leading edges. Since this area is behid the propeller disc, anyway, it's the perfect location with minimum drag.

I also thought further about armament, and at the moment I favorize the twin MG 151/20 pods from the Academy Fw 190 A/F, placed slightly further outboard, also outside of the new cooler openings. Not perfect, but I want to avoid that the Ta 338 looks too XFV-1-ish with its tip tanks.

Otherwise, work is rather messy. No original part sits where it was intended to be - especially moving the wings up onto the flanks was and is a major surgical act... But the rest ain't much simpler!  :drink:

zenrat

You can't put a gun through the spinner of a radial unless you offset the hub to allow the barrel to pass between two (or many in the case of a 4 row radial like the 803) cylinders.
How feasible is a non rotating gun pod sat in front of the prop?

Moving the thing if it sat on pads wouldn't be an issue if there was some sort of jacking trolley that could be slid under the feet to lift and roll.

I'm thinking about 3 tails on the back of mine.  Two on the top and one underneath.
I have no contra props so I will have to scratch one up.
Need an FW190 first though.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Army of One on June 08, 2016, 01:35:06 PM
Dizzy.......I have many many 1/144 wheels n tyres left over from my jet builds....( all modern jets) all are surplus at the moment....what sort of size you looking for and how many......? Be happy to post as soon as I have a reply.........

Thank you. I also have option - there's a 1:144 Tu-22M landing gear around, and I must have an 1:200 landing gear from a Dragon B-2 somewhere in the donor bank(s). I'll probably only use four wheels and create struts from wire, and omit the large central wheel idea. The MiG-21 fins look massive enough, and they receive larger fin top pods (made from streamlined Mk. 82 bombs w/o fins, and then reversed) instead of the anti-flutter booms. This will also help concerning attaching the struts/wheels and visual balance.

Flyer

Quote from: zenrat on June 09, 2016, 03:03:55 AM

You can't put a gun through the spinner of a radial

Well mine will be very late war or even purely hypothetical turboprop or offset engines with a gearbox maybe because then I can have a gun on the centreline.

Quote from: zenrat on June 09, 2016, 03:03:55 AM

I'm thinking about 3 tails on the back of mine.  Two on the top and one underneath.

That will look good too but I like the look of 4 better. :thumbsup:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Captain Canada

That's certainly different and going to be an excellent addition to your stash/ this site ! Especially when combined with your photographic genius !

:wub: :bow:

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?