SeaMaster support: USS ASHLAND LSD-1 * Finished *

Started by sandiego89, June 08, 2016, 04:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Great stuff. I've been wanting to build one of these from the first time I've seen one. The wings are 200 scale B-1B ? And where are the instructions from ? Can you scan that ( to scale  :thumbsup: )

:bow:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: Captain Canada on July 13, 2016, 05:47:53 AM
Great stuff. I've been wanting to build one of these from the first time I've seen one. The wings are 200 scale B-1B ? And where are the instructions from ? Can you scan that ( to scale  :thumbsup: )

Thanks guys.

Yes the wings are from the B-1.  Use about the outer 2/3 of each wing.  Picked them up very cheap.   

No "instructions" per see.  In working with these scratch build airplanes I do a bit of research, math and printing to give me a "blue print"

1.  I find a good 3 view drawing of the aircraft on the internet.  Click and save to my computer. 
2.  Find out the dimensions of the aircraft.  I find wingspan is best, as length brings in uncertainties with pitot tubes, probes etc.
3.  Math.   :banghead:  Calculate how big the airplane is in the scale you are building.  In this case I am going with the very strange 1/426 scale.  By my calculations the 102.83 foot wingspan of the SeaMaster in 1/426 should be 2.90 inches.  (math: 102.83x12 divided by 426= 2.90)  I am an ignorant American so I still use feet and inches.  ;)
4. Open up a word document on my computer.  Insert the image of my three view drawing.  Open the ruler option.  Size the image so the wingspan matches the 2.90. Click on the corner of the image to make it get bigger/smaller. 
5. Print.
6. Lay out the blueprint and scratch up your model.  Being able to cut the pieces and fuselages right over the "blue print" really helps. 

Calipers really help to get you close and double check your work. 

Not perfect, but I find I can get quite close to scale size

Here are some layouts of the SeaMaster and some recent 1/350 scale F-102's I built from scratch for my (award winning  ;D) "Ice Station Delta" build last fall. You can even see some of my math for the F-102's.  The SeaMaster print says 1/288 scale, but the image is printed at 1/426 scale.  I could scan if it would help. 

Hope that helps. 

-Dave

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

zenrat

I can't get over your work in these tiny scales.
Truly awesome.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

Quote from: sandiego89 on July 13, 2016, 02:47:08 PM
  I am an ignorant American so I still use feet and inches.  ;)

lol too funny ! I always find it strange that we log wells in meters for depth, meters per minute in speed, but our weights are in pounds ! I think it's the same for most of us, 10s work wonders for this and that, but a pound is a pound, and a kilo just confuses the issue as everybody sees it as 2.2 pounds  ;)

Thanks for the tips. I'd love to try some of these builds.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Old Wombat

Quote from: Captain Canada on July 14, 2016, 06:30:25 AM
... but a pound is a pound, and a kilo just confuses the issue as everybody sees it as 2.2 pounds  ;)

Until you get used to it, then you start thinking of a pound as "a bit less than half a kilo(gram)".

Oddly, I still find "human"-scale heights, roughly from 0 to 12 feet, easier in imperial, then I switch to metric (although there is a cross-over phase & metres are easier than yards).

Oh, & in small-scale inches are good for estimates but millimetres are brilliant for accuracy.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

The younger generations will rue the day that they only learned one method of measurement, you mark my words.

Those of us who learned Imperial originally and then had Metric forced upon us have much more flexibility in thinking because we can use both systems interchangeably.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 14, 2016, 11:22:11 AM
The younger generations will rue the day that they only learned one method of measurement, you mark my words.

Those of us who learned Imperial originally and then had Metric forced upon us have much more flexibility in thinking because we can use both systems interchangeably.

I know what you mean Kit but when the "both system generation", and I'm one of them all pass on to the great model shop in the sky the younger generations won't need Imperial because those who use it won't be around  :rolleyes:

Mind you I suppose they will still need it in a pub  :cheers: and if I'm honest I suppose my nieces and nephews do tend to use Imperial for a few things and metric for others so perhaps I'm wrong and it will survive ?

How to chnage your mind in the space of 4 typed lines  ;D ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

200 scale B-1 ? And what kit is it ? Might order a few this week.

:drink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 14, 2016, 12:23:11 PM

I know what you mean Kit but when the "both system generation", and I'm one of them all pass on to the great model shop in the sky the younger generations won't need Imperial because those who use it won't be around  :rolleyes:

They might THINK they don't need the dual standards but there are some occasions when Imperial just works better, and if they don't know about that they won't realise what they're missing.

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 15, 2016, 12:45:37 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 14, 2016, 12:23:11 PM

They might THINK they don't need the dual standards but there are some occasions when Imperial just works better, and if they don't know about that they won't realise what they're missing.

So many Imperial units are so much more logical. A pint is about as much as a thirsty man can down in one. A yard is a long stride. A stone is the maximum comfortable weight for a bag of shopping. I'm sure that we can all find further examples of this.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

sandiego89

Quote from: Captain Canada on July 14, 2016, 06:01:51 PM
200 scale B-1 ? And what kit is it ? Might order a few this week.

:drink:

1/260 scale B-1 provided the wings for this SeaMaster.  Academy "Sky Giants" 1/260.  Kit #1698.  I picked up several for a few dollars each.  A pretty basic kit, could be built in under 2 minutes if you worked quick. (1 minute for Dizzy...)  ;D  

-Dave

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

DogfighterZen

Wow... what an amazing thread! Excellent work throughout! :bow:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Captain Canada

OK thanks Dave. I'll see if I can find some cheapies myself ! Cheers  :cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

jcf

All 'units and standards' of measure are arbitrary at their root, so I just use whichever one is the most convenient for the task at hand.  ;D