Bansheeeeeeeeeeeeee! - Finished pics page 4

Started by zenrat, June 09, 2016, 01:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiZac

I don't think I'd seen the top of a Banshee before, that looks really nice! I want one now.

Can't wait to see more!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

kitnut617

Noice !!!

We're fortunate to have a Banshee on display at The Military Museum in Calgary, along with a Seafire Mk.XV and Sea Fury Mk.II
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

zenrat

I was flying it round the shed earlier today.  Looked great dogfighting a bright red Phantom...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

Nice ! I've been to the museum in Calgary years ago, and there's one in Shearwater as well no ? Been so long I can hardly recall..... :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

I think i've finally finished PSR today.  The wing half seams on the outer edges of the intakes have been a real PitA.
On the plus side I have managed to preserve all of the gorgeous engraved detail.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

Third thin coat of sky on the underside of the wings & on the tail today.  Fuselage needs another coat and then its time to mask and paint the top like this.

According to references the top should be Extra Dark Sea Grey.  Doesn't look like it to me so I suspect the picture has been "adjusted".  As I like the blue shade i'll be mixing up something close.
Fred

kitnut617

They look quite nice in RN/RCN colours, you can just make out mine below the tail of the B-36 in this pic

zenrat

Hobbycraft kit?  Is that grey undersurfaces or sky?

The F84 (I think it is) above the tail of the Peacemaker - are the blue/white checkers paint or decals?

Put the last coat of sky on the fuselage today.
Fred

kitnut617

Quote from: zenrat on July 12, 2016, 03:16:20 AM
Hobbycraft kit?  Is that grey undersurfaces or sky?

Hobbycraft and in RCN colours.  Done during the time I was building non-stop and didn't get the decals on it.

Quote from: zenrat on July 12, 2016, 03:16:20 AM
The F84 (I think it is) above the tail of the Peacemaker - are the blue/white checkers paint or decals?

It was an F-84E (Heller IIRC**) converted to a F-84B and then it got decals from a Microscale sheet specifically for a F-84B. It was built during the time I was trying to build as many different variants of each aircraft that I could.

**. If I've got it wrong (it was quite a few years ago that it was built) I'll correct myself after checking.

zenrat

Good scheme.  Bet decalling it was fun.
Fred

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: zenrat on July 11, 2016, 02:59:19 AM
According to references the top should be Extra Dark Sea Grey.  Doesn't look like it to me so I suspect the picture has been "adjusted".  As I like the blue shade i'll be mixing up something close.

Never trust a picture you see, be it a hardware print or (even worse) digital. Light and weathering have tremendous effect on how a color might appear, and the surroundings influence the subjective impression, too. Not to speak of technical issues concerning the representation of a certain tone...

AFAIK, the upper grey of early RCN aircraft was called Dark Grey 1-9 (later 501-102, maybe FS 16099?), very similar to NATO Extra Dark Sea Grey (e. g. Humbrol 123), and the lower sides were painted in a light grey instead of Sky, with the code 1-13 (later 501-106). The exact tones are under expert debate, though, literature makes controversial recommendations. For instance, the lower surface grey is supposed to be FS 16314 (Glossy Flint Grey), but this is IMHO too dark (could be scale effect, though?). I have used simple Humbrol 79 and 166 for the RCN task, and it looks very good.  

KiwiZac

British FAA aircraft used EDSG for sure, but I've always though the RAN and RCN used much lighter greys. Take a look at a British-marked Sea Fury next to your Aussie one up there.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Thanks Guy.
The Firefly looks gorgeous.
I found these profiles from an Xtradecal sheet which includes No. 105 pictured above (actually a restored Warbird IIRC).

They list the upper colour as Extra Dark Sea Grey but show it as a dark blue.
Whereas these pics of 105 show the upper colour as grey matching the pics Guy posted.

Of course Dizz is right about not trusting photos so i've mixed up my own shade of upper colour which is between the blue shade in my first pic and the grey in Guy's postings.  This is based purely on aesthetics (i.e. I like how it looks) with no attempt at reality.

Fred

kitnut617

Quote from: zenrat on July 12, 2016, 04:15:35 AM
Good scheme.  Bet decalling it was fun.

Thanks Mate!  I have to admit I had to buy another sheet 'cause I f$%^&d a couple of them up as I was trying to lay them on (they folded up on themselves and while trying to straighten them out, they got torn up).  On top of that I discovered that the Microscale sheet is wrong because I read later somewhere that the tail checkers should actually be red as the Fighter Group colour was red and the individual squadrons in the group got a different colour. In my case the Fighter Squadron colour was blue,  and after all the effort I put into it I just couldn't be bothered to correct it.