DONE +++ Thai Navy Canadair SeaGuard (Maritime patrol Vickers Vanguard) @p.5

Started by Dizzyfugu, June 09, 2016, 01:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Phew, good news: the paint job turned out not as desastrous as expected - the finish is a bit "mottled", but the paint settled evenly, so that the worst case scenario (getting the paint off again) could be avoided. Not pretty, but O.K., and matches the kit as such.

Wonder what happens next? And I am certain that there's still someone out there with the voodoo doll...

Dizzyfugu

In order to appease the masses, here come the first WiP pics from the early stages:

The Canadair SeaGuard (a maritime patrol Vickers Vanguard) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The Canadair SeaGuard (a maritime patrol Vickers Vanguard) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

More to follow...

In the meantime, painting goes on - and so far, no more unexpected troubles?!  :blink: Another good news: the damaged/mishappened paint shop could be saved/hidden under some enamel paint. Lady Luck seems to smile again on this build.  :bow:

Gondor

Is that the nose radar from the TU-20 I see there? If so its about the only thing it could be used for so I might pinch the idea

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

Oooh I like it ! Such a sleek looking aeroplane. Always a fan of the lumps and bumps as well. Can't wait to see more !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Gondor on June 22, 2016, 04:27:53 PM
Is that the nose radar from the TU-20 I see there? If so its about the only thing it could be used for so I might pinch the idea

Gondor

Correct. You might remember that I called this the ugliest Vanguard to see the light of day - wait for more pics... As a side note, it turned out that the fuselage diameter of the VEB Plasticart 1:100 Tu-20 is almost exactly the same as the Airfix 1:144 Vanguard's. A complete body transplantation would not make sense - but I wanted a search radar for my maritime patrol Vanguard, and the (utterly wrong) duck bill radome from the vintage kit was tempting. And it's a perfect place to hide a ton of lead.  ;)
Together with a slender tail boom, you can imagine where the nickname "Stingray" was derived from. Even though "Platypus" or "Horseshoe crab" is appropriate, too.

Stay tuned...  ;D

Old Wombat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 22, 2016, 11:47:04 PM
... Even though "Platypus" ... is appropriate, too.

Stay tuned...  ;D

Only if the tail (MAD) boom is wide & flat. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Not really. But that nose...  :rolleyes: Batman had the Batwing, and Darkwing Duck obviously used a Vickers Vanguard? :D

...and the tail sting - not the final length, it was trimmed down once the wings were in place, in order to get proportions right.

BTW: note the putty residues everywhere. Nothing fits together cleanly, there are some sink holes and the fuselage halves turned out to be slightly warped/shrinked inwards, hence the fat dorsal (and ventral) putty seam.

In the meantime, painting and decals make progress as an integral design process. Wonder when the operator will be guessed, but it will take some more WiP pics until we get that far.

JayBee

Ye Gods Dizzy, you certainly like to take the difficult route.
Looks good though!
Did you leave the fuselage full length, or shorten it like I did?

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

KiwiZac

Maaaaate, that's looking fantastic! Go Dizzy go!

That nose is hilarious, though.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Dizzyfugu

The Airfix kit basically remains the same, concerning fuselage, wings, engines, landing gear - putting it together OOB is already tough enough! On the other side (the thing sits on the work bench while paint and decals are drying), with the OOB fuselage, the tail boom AND the nose extension, the wings appear somewhat small - but not out of balance.

Another funny thing is that the Tu-20 nose and the slope in front of the wind screen totally changes the look of the Vanguard - it looks very Soviet now, at least in the grey plastic finish without any paint. And in the profile view the nose reminds a lot of a Fokker 27 or a Bristol Britannia, just with an underslung radome. Things blend into each other well, though, but you have to have a keen eye to recognize a Vanguard behind the masquerade.

Pics of the complete hull to come this evening, while I apply the operator's markings.  ;D

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

Things take more shape:

That nose... also note the profiles on the flanks, "simulating" an added bomb bay door mechanism; some antenna fairings were added, too. Bumps always look interesting:

Under the tail I added a pair of canted stabilizers. That radome cannot be good for stability...

Next episode: painting and decaling process (while the latter moves slowly on in real time).

JayBee

That is looking more Russian/Soviet by the minute.  :blink:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Gondor

Quote from: JayBee on June 24, 2016, 01:45:15 PM

If you shortened the forward fuselage or moved the wing forward a bit it May look like the Il-38  :blink:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Martin H

Quote from: Gondor on June 24, 2016, 01:55:40 PM
Quote from: JayBee on June 24, 2016, 01:45:15 PM

If you shortened the forward fuselage or moved the wing forward a bit it May look like the Il-38  :blink:

Gondor
No doubt pun intended ;D

Looks Interesting. even with the nose job ;D
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.