Captain Canada

Be interesting to see it with the gear down as well

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

Would you use the same engines supplied with the kit or change them?

sideshowbob9

Quote.....I think the missiles were Sparrows....

Rear mounted Sparrows!  :o That would be... unfortunate for any attacker & the poor loadie!

QuoteBe interesting to see it with the gear down as well

Thanks for the nomination Capt! Just looked at my staffing, Sunday is the only day off I have until July! Will defo do a gear down one, possibly an export one doing double-duty but I don't know when.

QuoteWould you use the same engines supplied with the kit or change them?

Erm... as originally conceived, they would definitely retain the J75s but I foresee the Air Force going bananas at the Navy having a land-based strategic bomber, that's the B-52's domain. So as they transition to the more niche sea-lane denial/maritime patrol/recce roles, they could definitely do with re-engineing. Less dash speed, more endurance. According to Flight c1961, the J75 is in the region of 43in in diameter, so turbofan candidates would be variants of TF30s or licence-built Conways or with a bit of a squeeze JT8Ds (I like the idea of Conways though). Or perhaps keep the J75s but shut down 2 for patrol like the Nimrods.

Basically, I don't want to re-profile the nacelles!  ;D

Edited to add a really useful resource: https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1961/1961%20-%200996.html?search=jt3c%20specifications

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 13, 2016, 02:48:47 PM
There was a plan for Seamasters to have rearward firing air defence missiles mounted in the same place as the original gun turret.

There's a drawing of it in the pukka Seamaster book but they never got as far as cutting metal on the idea apparently. I think the missiles were Sparrows but as my book is buried under a mountain of junk I can't find it.  :banghead:

Kit was likely thinking about the drawing of the proposed rearward firing missiles on page 154 of the Piet/Raithal SeaMaster book. As Kit's book is hidden in perhaps his library, smoking den, one of his estate cottages or his antiquities collection room I took a few photos from my book on my bench for my SeaMaster/USS ASHLAND build. 

The text includes after moving from the proposed twin 20MM set up, to considering the B-58 system, Martin was directed to to maintain weight provisions for future defensive missile systems.  Grumman proposed the G-143 Bomber Defense System.  "The system included a a complete suite of passive and active...IR and...ECM....backed up by a rearward firing radar-quided defensive system....solid rocket guided missile using a miniaturized Sparrow III spinning dish guidance package....up to four of the semi-guided missiles...one in the closed tube and three in a rotary launcher..."  So not quite a sparrow, the fins are different, but they look to have a booster and use some Sparrow parts. 

Source: Martin SeaMaster, page 154, Stan Piet/Al Raithel

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on June 15, 2016, 02:43:11 PM

Kit was likely thinking about the drawing of the proposed rearward firing missiles on page 154 of the Piet/Raithal SeaMaster book. As Kit's book is hidden in perhaps his library, smoking den, one of his estate cottages or his antiquities collection room I took a few photos from my book on my bench for my SeaMaster/USS ASHLAND build. 

The text includes after moving from the proposed twin 20MM set up, to considering the B-58 system, Martin was directed to to maintain weight provisions for future defensive missile systems.  Grumman proposed the G-143 Bomber Defense System.  "The system included a a complete suite of passive and active...IR and...ECM....backed up by a rearward firing radar-quided defensive system....solid rocket guided missile using a miniaturized Sparrow III spinning dish guidance package....up to four of the semi-guided missiles...one in the closed tube and three in a rotary launcher..."  So not quite a sparrow, the fins are different, but they look to have a booster and use some Sparrow parts. 

What? I don't have ANY of them, just a middle sized house that's PACKED with various piles of junk with all the good stuff buried inside it!  :banghead:

But you're exactly correct, that's precisely what I was thinking of. I knew a Sparrow came into it somewhere, just couldn't call the fine details to mind.

I can't recall any aircraft using the system for real, and I wonder if they trialled it on anything, which would make an interesting model apart from the fact the mod would be invisible.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

lol too funny  :bow:

That's pretty interesting and defo a book I'm going to check out !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

All in jest Kit  ;D, I don't have an cottage estate either.

I do note in the caption the rearward firing missile system was also proposed for the A3D.

I think the fictional Mega Fortress in "Flight of the Old Dog" had some rearward missiles....

Captain, as I mentioned in other threads the Piet/Raithal book on the SeaMaster is an absolute must for anyone interested in the SeaMaster- I flip through it often. I don't recommend books often, but it is really worth it.

-Dave   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on June 16, 2016, 06:19:59 AM
All in jest Kit  ;D, I don't have an cottage estate either.

I do note in the caption the rearward firing missile system was also proposed for the A3D.

I think the fictional Mega Fortress in "Flight of the Old Dog" had some rearward missiles....

Captain, as I mentioned in other threads the Piet/Raithal book on the SeaMaster is an absolute must for anyone interested in the SeaMaster- I flip through it often. I don't recommend books often, but it is really worth it.

-Dave   

I agree with you 100% about the Piet/Raithal book, it's worth its weight on gold for any flying boat fan.

IIRC the 'Old Dog' had rearward firing airmines, whatever they are, but also had A2A missiles in its bomb bay which could track and intercept targets astern of the aircraft. It's been 6 months since I re-read it so I could have missed something too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KiwiZac

That looks so "right", well done on those profiles.

Aircraft with rearward-firing missiles - need I remind you to think in Russian? ;-)
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Mossie

And then there's the bizzare lenticular Pye Wacket, which could be launched from the B-70 in a Any direction.

I like this idea, the Badger is one my favourite Soviet bombers, the US should defiantly have an analogue. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.