Douglas Project 1186C - paper model

Started by Paper Kosmonaut, June 11, 2016, 01:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paper Kosmonaut

The late forties and early fifties were an awesome time for aircraft designers. Almost anything seemed possible and there apparently seemed to be a bottomless pit of money.
So Douglas Aircraft too came up with something really weird and inspiring. And although the plans were really real, the actual plane was never realised.
The year: 1948. Based on the quite underpowered X-3 design, which in fact was a very effective aerodynamic shape and besides researching inertia coupling also was perhaps an inspiration for the short wings the F-104 got later in the decade, some inspirated person at the design bureau of the aircraft manufacturer dreamed up one of the most surprising never built "Mistel" like aircraft combo's.

Project 1186 C was a long range bomber, a navalized X-3, powered perhaps with something more able than the weak Westinghouse J-46's it originally was equipped with, was placed on a twin jet / twin rocket engine powered unmanned bomber aircraft, the whole stack capable of being launched from a really huge aircraft carrier.
Jared A Zichik has written a book about, amongst others, this project.

This model is made from paper and was designed by someone named Tekzo and you can find the paper model there too.

I always tinker with my paper models. This one no exception. I used metallic paper for the exhausts, a small Dremel saw wheel on a handle for making rivet lines across the surfaces and I also changed the U.S. Navy markings into Dutch Navy markings. Because I'd like to make it even crazier.

I hope you like it.

Four more in the next post.
dei t dut mout t waiten!

Paper Kosmonaut

four more:

Oh yeah: the scale is about 1/72. And I presume the designer used a bit of imagination as far as the business end of the X-3 derivate; since it now has one huge jet engine exhaust. Where would the fuel go? Oh well, it's a whiff. Enjoy! (-:

-PK
dei t dut mout t waiten!

PR19_Kit

OGL did one of those, in a USN scheme, from a resin kit I think. When it's on the SIG display stand it dominates everything, it's HUGE!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Army of One

Oh wow.......that is awesome......love the rivet detail.....👍
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

NARSES2

Fantastic  :thumbsup:

I think the carrier it was intended to fly from was so big it may have had a problem negotiating the Straights of Dover ! Therefore Rotterdam via the North Sea route only  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Paper Kosmonaut

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 12, 2016, 01:49:09 AM
Oh, the fearsome Dutch Navy!  :thumbsup:
Hahahaha! Indeed. Well there was a time the Dutchies actually were quite fearsome at sea. Some three and a half hundred years back.

Thanks for al the kind words.
dei t dut mout t waiten!

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 11, 2016, 01:34:25 PM
OGL did one of those, in a USN scheme, from a resin kit I think. When it's on the SIG display stand it dominates everything, it's HUGE!  :o

I did indeed. But this one is brilliant. I wouldnt have the nerve to try it in paper
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

NARSES2

Quote from: Paper Kosmonaut on June 12, 2016, 06:02:25 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 12, 2016, 01:49:09 AM
Oh, the fearsome Dutch Navy!  :thumbsup:
Hahahaha! Indeed. Well there was a time the Dutchies actually were quite fearsome at sea. Some three and a half hundred years back.

Thanks for al the kind words.

Indeed sailed up the Medway and Thames even  :wacko:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Great job on this one ! Love the colour and markings. The whole thing is a great idea !

:drink: :bow:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?