Focke Wulf Ta 338 D-2 (inspired by Flyer & Dizzyfugu) Finished Pics Pg 4

Started by zenrat, June 27, 2016, 04:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Basing my work on Dizzy's build I have been installing radiators.  Some trimming will be required but wing fences will be in evidence.
Tails are just pinned in place for the moment but that is pretty much where they'll end up.  They will however have faired foot housings on the tips.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Flyer

"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Almost half the total length of the aircraft is engine.
Which seems about right to me...
;D
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on July 14, 2016, 10:01:35 PM
;D

The PR19_Kit of engines! :rolleyes:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

The wing root radiators are more of less completed just needing a smear of filler.
Next is an oil cooler(s) and some lumps & bumps on the cowling.
I also have to come to a decision about armament.  As Dizz explains in his write up the large diameter contra props mean all the standard FW190 guns can't be used (easilly or practically).  I'm not keen on guns mounted too far outboard on the wings for aesthetic and structural/vibration reasons so originally I was going to have a single large calibre gun mounted under the engine synchronised to fire through the propellers (if the props are geared so both front and back blades pass the barrel simultaneously then the gun only has to be interrupted once per blade pair).  I even built a large diameter tube into the cowling for the gun so mount into.
However, I left the end of this tube uncapped and think it looks better that way as a supercharger intake rather than being capped with a barrel protruding.
So now I am thinking of a gun firing through the contra prop gearbox and prop hubs.  The deltic configuration engine is ideally suited for this having a void through the centre in which the gun could be mounted.  OK so it would mean access to the gun would be a pain in the donkey but maybe the barrel is long enough so the breech is behind the engine?
I also have to build two more sets of exhausts and the props.
Fred

zenrat

Today I glued on some lumps and bumps and scoops,
I also made a jig for forming prop blades.
The plan is to cut blades from styrene sheet and then put a 45 degree twist into them by putting them into the jig and then holding them over the steam from a kettle to set the twist.

And I have just realised I will need to make sure I twist half the blades in the opposite direction.
Fred

zenrat

Major progress today.
I deemed the work to the front end of the airframe complete (PSR plus radiator & oil cooler construction plus exhausts, lumps, bumps & scoops) and glued on the tails.
More PSR now but at the other end.
I also completed forming the second set of propeller blades on my steam heat blade jig.

Fred

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 16, 2016, 04:33:27 AM
Quote from: zenrat on July 14, 2016, 10:01:35 PM
;D

The PR19_Kit of engines! :rolleyes:

Hehehe, could well be right there.  :thumbsup:

'Any aircraft can be improved by fitting a MUCH larger engine!'  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Flyer

Just a thought, if roughly half the airframe is engine and sweeping the wings forward may reduce fuel tank space endurance could be a issue... Large drop tanks and RATO to compensate?
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Flyer on July 07, 2016, 02:43:26 AM
Is it all pistons etc... or is that partly gearbox too :o

Nah, it's probably a 63 cylinder engine...  ;)