Bristol Beaujumper

Started by zenrat, July 01, 2016, 04:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Well, it's been a while coming (mmmmm, PSR) but its finally finished.

Bristol/Javelin Engineering Beaujumper
Beaujumper 5 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
In the years following the end of WW2 numerous ex-military aircraft from various sources found their way into private hands in the People's Democratic Republic of Victoria.  zenrat industries, having created the concept of the Executive Transport Aircraft in the 1920s were keen to snap up a wide selection of aircraft at bargain basement prices.  Aircraft went through a process of being demilitarised and modified before being inspected and certified as suitable for civilian use.
Beaujumper 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
A dozen Bristol Beaufighter Mk IIs were modified by Javelin Engineering into mixed passenger/freight aircraft.  Known as Beaujumpers these carried six passengers and up to a ton of freight. 
Beaujumper 7 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Modifications consisted of the installation of seats and windows, fairing over the rear cockpit and the fitment of a door into the rear fuselage.  The engines were reconditioned and upgraded by zenrat industries.
Beaujumper 6 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Beaujumpers were not a huge success.  Passenger comfort was minimal because of head and leg room restrictions due to the wing spars and fuselage cross section and a lack of effective sound insulation made them an incredibly noisy ride.   The single portside access door also limited cargo choices to what would fit through it.
Beaujumper 11 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Most Beaujumpers had enlarged cargo doors fitted and then ended their working lives carrying cargo only, although at least two aircraft were fitted with tanks and spray bars taking part in covert cross border operations against drug growers in Greater Eastern Australia.
Beaujumper 8 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The model.
Airfix old mould Beaufighter TF10 with (the inner) nacelles and props from a Revell Lancaster Mk I/III.
Scratchbuilt cockpit, rear cockpit faired over, windows drilled, all raised detail sanded off, a ton of filler used to fill ill fitting joints and then a door was scribed into the side.
Fitting the Merlins was surprisingly easy although if you wanted to take this route to make an accurate Mk II Beau then you'd need to modify or remake the gear doors and probably make all the other detail changes I'm sure there are that I'm not aware of.
Finish is my usual Vallejo acrylics and home made decals.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

That's TERRIFIC Fred.  :thumbsup: :bow:

I've always liked the Mk II Merlin engined Beaufighters better than the Hercules ones anyway, but in a cleaned up form with that colour scheme it looks truly magnificent!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

That really has turned out marvelous --- well done zr.

There is another route to a Mk.II, buy the High Planes kit   ;)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

That really has come out well  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Sweet!  :thumbsup:

Looks like a 2nd try for the fast Blenheim transport. The Merlins are a good choice, too, making the aircraft look sleeker and faster. Love the colors, too.  :wub:

The Rat

That looks so right, it should have been real!  :wub: :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

Very nice. Love the clean look. I wonder if part of the passenger comfort issue was the pilot doing mock strike runs every time he saw a boat ?

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Alvis 3.14159

Astoundingly amazing! A far better rendition than I might have pulled off.

Alvis Pi

zenrat

Thanks folks.

Kitnut - it wasn't that I set out to build a Mk II.  It was just the obsessive desire not to build it straight OOB took over and I had the Lanc in the stash and I liked the fact that it had engines inside the nacelles.
Incidentally, the cowlings will not fit onto the RH Merlin - the slightly bulged original Beau nacelle gets in the way.

Now, I have two more Airfix Beaus in the stash.  The new mould one will probably be built OOB with desert paint but as for the old mould one - well, I have an engine left over from this build and quite like the look of the sketches I did of a trimotor Beau piloted from an open rear cockpit.  Maybe as a prewar airliner with spats.  Must start gathering parts.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

TomZ

Absolutely beautiful!!!!

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 01, 2016, 05:03:43 PM

......well, I have an engine left over from this build and quite like the look of the sketches I did of a trimotor Beau piloted from an open rear cockpit.  Maybe as a prewar airliner with spats.  Must start gathering parts.

NOW you're talking there Fred.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: zenrat on July 01, 2016, 05:03:43 PM
Thanks folks.

Kitnut - it wasn't that I set out to build a Mk II.  It was just the obsessive desire not to build it straight OOB took over and I had the Lanc in the stash and I liked the fact that it had engines inside the nacelles.
Incidentally, the cowlings will not fit onto the RH Merlin - the slightly bulged original Beau nacelle gets in the way.

Now, I have two more Airfix Beaus in the stash.  The new mould one will probably be built OOB with desert paint but as for the old mould one - well, I have an engine left over from this build and quite like the look of the sketches I did of a trimotor Beau piloted from an open rear cockpit.  Maybe as a prewar airliner with spats.  Must start gathering parts.

Beautiful conversion. It looks like you raised the roof. And thetrimotor Beau is a wild idea. Please do it! :wub:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.