Australian Chieftain AS2

Started by buzzbomb, July 03, 2016, 02:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

After the Australian Army chose the Chieftain to replace the Centurion... backstory, backstory etc etc

So I inherited an old Chieftain build from somewhere which got me thinking about what to do with it. I had the turret and upper hull from an Accurate Armour MK11 Conversion (which is why you blokes now have the Takon mk11). Got me thinking about what mods the Australian Army might do.
Now the Australian Army/Defence Force is prone to tinkering with perfectly good weapons systems to "better suit the Australian requirement" and add/Delete/Change or otherwise modify perfectly good vehicles/aircraft/Ships for sometimes no apparent reason. But that is a whole 'nother topic.

So far I have added more turret armor, similar to the Stillbrew mods but called BillyBrew in Australia.
Deleted the NBC filter gear as clearly that would be unnecessary for the Australian Defence force(??), replacing that with another turret basket, that would undoubtably get filled with jack rations, gas bottles and perhaps a surrupticious EndEx Carton.

The IR Searchlight had to go as well as that will be replaced by a IFS system.

What we have so far

Billybrew armour with gunmount dust cover. Armour is chunks of Plastic card with Apoxy Sculpt. Dust cover is also apoxy sculpt.

The place for stuff and clutter. Soldered Brass basket

Then we added replacement, dust guard/side plates as in close country the full Chiefain "bazooka plates" would cause issues

coming together with the old NBC fitting being reused as an Aircon unit, for want of being too lazy to scratch build anything else.

Into Painting at the moment.. so AS AR...wait out.

zenrat

I think it needs a set of roo bars, spotlights, rod holders, an excessively large CB aerial (compensating?), CAT mud flaps, rubber testicles hanging from the tow bar and a sticker on the back saying "were full, f**k off".

Other than those little details - yeah, looks good.   ;D :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Quote from: zenrat on July 03, 2016, 03:08:15 AM
I think it needs a set of roo bars, spotlights, rod holders, an excessively large CB aerial (compensating?), CAT mud flaps, rubber testicles hanging from the tow bar and a sticker on the back saying "were full, f**k off"

The RSM would not be amused, to say the least, if he was to catch sight of such oddments added to one HIS vehicles...   ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

buzzbomb

Calling this a done
Initial Paint work before detail paint work

Probably some touch ups, maybe, that that pretty much it

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Steel Penguin

:thumbsup:  superb, the billybrew on the turret front makes it look remarkably M60 ish,  but nicely laden dusty and very tanky
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I don't understand a word that you mentioned about all the add-on bits, but it surely looks really great! Superb paintwork.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Wow. Great work on this one ! Love all the details and the extra stuff you have added. Great colour scheme as well.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

JayBee

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 09, 2016, 01:27:35 PM
I don't understand a word that you mentioned about all the add-on bits, but it surely looks really great! Superb paintwork.  :thumbsup:

Agree totally.  :thumbsup:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

chrisonord

Only just seen this, I like it very much as I too like upgrading armour. I like how the tank commander looks like Spike Milligan too.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Old Wombat

I'm sure I commented on this back when (I remember some other comments, so I know I've read it) ... but there's no evidence of it!? :unsure:

Anyway: Great build, BT! really looks the part! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

Funny I'm the opposite....I had replies but don't remember the build ! Lovely tho. Great to see again and gives me ideas.....

:bow:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

rickshaw

'is a nice build.  Must be a picture taken during winter at Pucka with the rig the commander is wearing!   In the Top End, he'd be wearing a much lighter-weight flying suit set of coveralls...    :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.